New Edition of Ernst German-English?
Thread poster: mckinnc
mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:43
French to English
+ ...
May 13, 2002

Could anyone confirm for me whether there are any plans to bring out a new edition of Ernst\'s Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik (German-English)? The current edition is from 1989 and I heard from one bookseller in Munich that there may be a new one towards the end of 2002.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ernst 2000 is already there! May 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-13 08:11, mckinnc wrote:

Could anyone confirm for me whether there are any plans to bring out a new edition of Ernst\'s Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik (German-English)? The current edition is from 1989 and I heard from one bookseller in Munich that there may be a new one towards the end of 2002.

I suspect you are talking about the paper/book version though.

As a CD ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-05-13 08:11, mckinnc wrote:

I suspect you are talking about the paper/book version though.

As a CD I use it every day and it appeared in 2000

Best regards

Mats

Thanks in advance,

Colin

Collapse

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does the CD contain updated content? May 13, 2002

Thanks for the inforation Mats. You wouldn\'t know by any chance whether the CD is based on the 1989 German-English part or whether it has been entirely updated, would you?

Colin

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:43
German to English
+ ...
May 13, 2002

Hi Colin,

I usually purchase my dictionaries from kater-verlag.de and was told quite some time ago that they are indeed going to bring out a revised addition of German-English.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:43
German to English
+ ...
Colin May 13, 2002

No, the CD contains only the new En-Ge edition, but the old (89) Ge-En.

I\'m waiting, too, but heard recently (can\'t remember where) that we shouldn\'t \"hold our breath!\" (

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ernst deu-eng-deu. Klare Antwort unten: May 13, 2002

Ich habe jetzt mit Frau Roswitha Kontschny bei Brandstetter/Bruckner Verlag in Wiesbaden gesprochen +49-611-991200 und folgendes zu wissen bekommen über Ernst 2000:

Deutsch-Englisch ist aus 1989

Englisch-Deutsch ist aus 2000

(Ich dachte beide waren aus demselben Jahr)

Deu-eng wird in 2004 erscheinen, zuerst als Buch, dann als CD.

Verzeihen Sie mein Englisch!

Mats

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:43
German to English
Another new technical dictionary May 13, 2002

I can\'t add to Mats\' answer regarding Ernst, does anyone have any experience with this one?

Kucera

Wörterbuch der exakten Naturwissenschaften und der Technik

2002. Band II. 2. Auflage 220.000 Stichworte und damit im Umfang und im Format fast verdoppelt. Manch ein Übersetzer gründete auf dieses Werk seine Selbständigkeit. Es enthält schlicht alles, was zu den Großthemenbereichen Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften bemerken
... See more
I can\'t add to Mats\' answer regarding Ernst, does anyone have any experience with this one?

Kucera

Wörterbuch der exakten Naturwissenschaften und der Technik

2002. Band II. 2. Auflage 220.000 Stichworte und damit im Umfang und im Format fast verdoppelt. Manch ein Übersetzer gründete auf dieses Werk seine Selbständigkeit. Es enthält schlicht alles, was zu den Großthemenbereichen Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften bemerkenswert ist. Unübersehbar die Aufzählung der Quellen. Mit 10 Jahren ausschließlicher Arbeit an dem Werk hat sich der Lexikologe Antonin Kucera ein Denkmal gesetzt. Wesentlich ist die Zuordnung der Fachbegriffe zu Fachbereichen, die Berücksichtigung von englischen, amerikanischen und deutschen Normen und deren Benennung und die präzise Ausarbeitung der Verweise und der Synonyme. Zahlreiche Verweise auf Definitionen in den Orginalquellen u.a. dem Chambers Dictionary of Science and Technology runden den guten Eindruck ab. Deutsch / Englisch. Gebunden

Entscheidungshilfe

Preis 165,00

http://www.kater-commerce.com/index.php
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Kucera May 13, 2002

Vol. 1 of Kucera, Compact Dictionary of Exact Science and Technology (English-German), has been on the market since 1989. IMHO, it\'s an excellent reference and complements Ernst very nicely. Many\'s the time where I found a term in Kucera that wasn\'t listed in Ernst.

Recently, I\'ve been relying more heavily on Ernst simply because I have the Ernst CD on my system (which means I don\'t have to get up and fetch a book out of the shelf).

But, FWIW, I\'ve already o
... See more
Vol. 1 of Kucera, Compact Dictionary of Exact Science and Technology (English-German), has been on the market since 1989. IMHO, it\'s an excellent reference and complements Ernst very nicely. Many\'s the time where I found a term in Kucera that wasn\'t listed in Ernst.

Recently, I\'ve been relying more heavily on Ernst simply because I have the Ernst CD on my system (which means I don\'t have to get up and fetch a book out of the shelf).

But, FWIW, I\'ve already ordered Vol. II -- it should be arriving within the next week or two.
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
CD searches May 13, 2002

hey Uli and everybody,

If I install the CD in my system, and knowing that the CD contains the updated 2000 version of only the En>De pair, will I be able to do reverse searches in the En>De pair, i.e., enter a German word (not included in the 1989 version) and find the English equivalent?

M

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Edition of Ernst German-English?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »