US school teachers need info on word to word bilingual dictionaries
Thread poster: Rosemary Schmid
Rosemary Schmid
Local time: 04:58
English
Dec 22, 2004

Here's a post I received this morning from a teachers list I'm on. Getting the states to approve the use of ANY dictionary is a step forward. (The fact that English words have several meanings that are only understandable in context has not yet been understood.) If you have any suggestions of inexpensive resources, please let me, or the writer know.
Thanks.
Rosemary Schmid
rosemaryschmid@yahoo.com
(ELL is the "new" label = English Language Learners. The old label, LEP, was too often pronounced like the first syllable of leper! And so we make progress.)

"Our Public Schools are looking for sources/ specific examples of
Word-Word Bilingual Dictionaries to be used as accomodations for ELLs on
the State Achievement tests. The dictionaries cannot have any
definitions or examples, only a word to word translation. We need them
in English + all other available languages, appropriate for students in
grades 3-11. Please contact me if you know where I can find these
dictionaries or if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

Heidi Faust
ESL Facilitator
Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit#21
4750 Orchard Road
Schnecksville, PA 18078
PH: 610-769-1064
FAX: 610-769-1272
Email: fausth@cliu.org"

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:58
Member (2011)
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
bilingual glossaries Dec 22, 2004

Given the description of what they are looking for, it is not word-word bilingual dictionaries that they are seeking, but rather simply bilingual glossaries.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Glossaries in which bilingual language pairs and ELL Demographics? Dec 25, 2004

Greetings to all in this thread.

To enable some specific recommendations of bilingual references, it would be helpful to have some clarification of:

(1) which particular bilingual language pairs are involved

and

(2) the demographics (esp. age ranges) of the ELL population which would use and benefit from those bilingual materials.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
ELL Teacher, Advisor and Tutor
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Farsi)
San Pedro, California

Merit
French to English
+ ...
Age and language pair info Dec 25, 2004

I think the info is there:
"We need them
grades 3-11."

Anyway, grades 3-11 means 7 to17 years olds more or less

Stephen Franke wrote:

Greetings to all in this thread.

To enable some specific recommendations of bilingual references, it would be helpful to have some clarification of:

(1) which particular bilingual language pairs are involved

and

(2) the demographics (esp. age ranges) of the ELL population which would use and benefit from those bilingual materials.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
ELL Teacher, Advisor and Tutor
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Farsi)
San Pedro, California

Mauro Baglieri  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Word-to-word english-italian glossaries Dec 25, 2004

Dear Rosemary,

I am an ESL teacher/interpreter of proz and i am working on a small online dictionary project in collaboration with some colleagues. Together we are publishing a number of small special dictionaries (nautical terms, industrial machines etc). These can be downloaded for free in PDF format at:

http://pagina1.altervista.org/english.htm (my site's English section) or

my friend's:

http://http://www.antotranslation.com/eng_htm/material.asp?lingua=2&pagina=21&com=1

PLUS: A 1900-entry False Friends Glossary (English-Italian)

at: http://pagina1.altervista.org/false_friends_pag.htm

(if you wish for a PDF version just e-mail me)

I am planning a special section for Italian learners too in the near future. Pagina1 (Page1) is still under construction, i hope you don't mind the mess!

Good luck with your students!

Mauro Baglieri

orbiter@yahoo.com

If you find these resources useful, please let us know!

Here's a post I received this morning from a teachers list I'm on. Getting the states to approve the use of ANY dictionary is a step forward. (The fact that English words have several meanings that are only understandable in context has not yet been understood.) If you have any suggestions of inexpensive resources, please let me, or the writer know.
Thanks.
Rosemary Schmid
rosemaryschmid@yahoo.com
(ELL is the "new" label = English Language Learners. The old label, LEP, was too often pronounced like the first syllable of leper! And so we make progress.)

"Our Public Schools are looking for sources/ specific examples of
Word-Word Bilingual Dictionaries to be used as accomodations for ELLs on
the State Achievement tests. The dictionaries cannot have any
definitions or examples, only a word to word translation. We need them
grades 3-11. Please contact me if you know where I can find these
dictionaries or if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

Heidi Faust
ESL Facilitator
Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit#21
4750 Orchard Road
Schnecksville, PA 18078
PH: 610-769-1064
FAX: 610-769-1272
Email: " rel="nofollow">fausth@cliu.org"[/quote]

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
No such dictionary can be appropriate for students in grades 3-11 Dec 29, 2004

[quote]Rosemary Schmid wrote:
..snip..
The dictionaries cannot have any definitions or examples, only a word to word translation. We need them in English + all other available languages, appropriate for students in grades 3-11. Please contact me if you know where I can find these dictionaries or if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

[end quote]

I venture to suggest that, precisely because the meaning, and therefore translation, of a word so often depends on the context, your reaction to the request ought to be "there can be no such thing as a word-to-word dictionary appropriate for these students."
I would say that such a dictionary can be appropriate only for somebody who already knows both languages and only needs a reminder.

Oliver

xxxtr.
English to Italian
very difficult to find Dec 30, 2004

Dear Rosemary,

if I understand correctly the teachers have no say in this and are simply forced to accept that "no examples" constraint, right? In that case, I'm afraid it will be difficult to find any good dictionaries that meet that requirement. The only solution I can think of is to use small paperback dictionaries, but even there a lot of concise or pocket dictionaries do have some examples and definitions.

Have a look on Amazon - start here: concise dictionaries or pocket dictionaries.

You can also view the excerpts for some books - here's a couple of them - as you can see, they don't seem to meet the requirement as they have more than only the word by word translation:

- from the Concise Oxford-Paravia Italian Dictionary

- from the Langenscheidt's Pocket Dictionary German: German-English/English-German

The only kind I know that has none of that at all are the tiniest editions made for tourists. It sounds like a joke to recommend those for schools!

[Edited at 2004-12-30 11:21]

Mauro Baglieri  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Word-to-word dictionaries Jan 3, 2005

I don't think Rosemary meant that for each entry only one word should be given. I sent them some bilingual glossaries with multiple definitions and it seems it was what the students needed. In some cases, however, some glossaries have just only one translation per entry because the context is already restricted to a special field (for eg. lawnmower terms).

Best Wishes /Happy New Year;-)

Mauro

http://pagina1.altervista.org

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US school teachers need info on word to word bilingual dictionaries

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums