Japanese furigana removal and SDLX
Thread poster: Derek Wessman
Derek Wessman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:39
Japanese to English
+ ...
Dec 31, 2004

I am new to using SDLX. Does anyone know how to get rid of Japanese furigana on a Word (or other document) in order to facilitate its correct conversion? I have a client who only sends the document with furigana in Word format for translating. They only publish the source doc with furigana because it is a widely read item, and some readers ostensibly need furigana to read it.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
What's the problem? Dec 31, 2004

What happens when you use the Project Wizard to generate itd files? Do the furigana characters interfere with the process? Do they get extracted out? Do they stay there and just bother you because you don't need them?

Esther, curious and eager to help

Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well, Dec 31, 2004

When I convert the file to itd, the furigana is shown in the source (left) side, as though it were the real text, and the kanji, which are obviously what I really want there, are missing, replaced by red vertical lines. In essence, it seems to be weeding out the kanji instead of weeding out the furigana.

[Edited at 2004-12-31 05:14]

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
UTF-8 Dec 31, 2004

Well, it's a real problem. The only thing I can think of is: did you check the box for UTF-8 (on the right) when selecting Japanese as the source language?

You could also try to see what happens with a small file where all the furigana is removed. Will you get only red lines?

Good luck!

Esther

Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still trying different things Dec 31, 2004

I still haven't figured it out. The best thing is if my client would just make the doc sans furgiana, but I'll figure something out. Thanks for your help. You have probably put me on the path toward fixing this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese furigana removal and SDLX

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs