Thread poster: Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2005

I recently received the following e-mail and wonder if anyone has had a chance to use it and what the result were:
"Dear Language Professional

Terminology Matters, a Language Services company devoted to excellence in multilingual documentation, is pleased to announce the release of Quintilian, a Microsoft Word plug-in offering automated terminology and tag verification for TRADOS-segmented bilingual files. Typically, translation QC requires intensive manual effort, and relies
... See more
I recently received the following e-mail and wonder if anyone has had a chance to use it and what the result were:
"Dear Language Professional

Terminology Matters, a Language Services company devoted to excellence in multilingual documentation, is pleased to announce the release of Quintilian, a Microsoft Word plug-in offering automated terminology and tag verification for TRADOS-segmented bilingual files. Typically, translation QC requires intensive manual effort, and relies on the memory recall of individual editors. Using Quintilian, you can work directly within your source files, quickly and comprehensively identifying & correcting non-comformant terms.

Terminology inconsistency can ruin a document, leaving the impression of sloppy, careless workmanship. Eradicate it from your work with a couple of mouse-clicks using Quintilian's Bilingual Search capabilities. Modelled on Word's own Find feature, and with all the same familiar search options, Bilingual Searching lets you check one term (or phrase) at a time, or an entire Glossary. Each search outputs a customizable report listing term matches and/or mismatches, as you choose. Instantly jump from each term in the report to the exact location in your source file for rapid correction.

Since Quintilian verifies consistency between source and target segments, it is perfect for verifying formatting tags. It has a built-in function to extract all tags into a list for automated Tag Verification, right from within Word.

With additional features for terminology highlighting, frequency analysis, Translation Memory Maintenance and numerous format converters (not to mention a detailed Help file), Quintilian is waiting to assist you with your translation Quality Assurance needs.

Download the fully-functional demo today and see what value you can add to your translation deliverables:
http://www.terminologymatters.com

Quintilian: making the right words count.

Yours,

The Terminology Team @ Terminology Matters
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:27
German to English
+ ...
useful tool Jan 4, 2005

Hi Ricardo,

I have used it and have found it to be a very useful tool for ensuring consistent terminology. When translating large jobs (especially multi-document jobs), it is very easy for inconsistencies to slip in. Even during second-reading, it is very easy to miss inconsistencies (the human eye seems to be hard-coded to read over this type of slip). Quintilian makes the whole term check process a whole lot more reliable and a whole lot easier.

By the way, the www.terminologymatters.com website also provides some free Word macros that are really useful in overcoming some well-known gripes. E.g. one of the free macros fixes the majority of the false line breaks that appear when you copy a text from a PDF and paste it to Word. The number of times I've fixed them all by hand just doesn't bear thinking about!

Have you tried it yet, Ricardo?

[Edited at 2005-01-04 21:13]
Collapse

Joaquin Cespedes
Joaquin Cespedes
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Chris! Jan 5, 2005

I haven't tried it yet, but now that I konw someoene has I will install it this afternoon and let you know.
That macro you refer to should be a real help.
Cheers,
Ricardo

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's what I thought... Jan 5, 2005

Chris Hopley wrote:
Quintilian makes the whole term check process a whole lot more reliable and a whole lot easier.

And installed it to give it a try. But although it seems to be correctly installed and active, when trying to do a bilingual check (checking Hits AND Misses)I get a "compile error in hidden: module2", then a "Target Error, Microsoft Excel, The macro module2.hiliteMiss cannot be found" several times, and I'm left only with the Hits.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Grace.

TermsMatter
TermsMatter
German to English
Updated Version for Office 2000 Jan 7, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

But although it seems to be correctly installed and active, when trying to do a bilingual check I get a "compile error in hidden: module2"
Any advice will be appreciated!
Grace.

Hi Grace

my apologies for the problems you experienced. There was a samll bug in the Excel reports that appeared on some installations of Office 2000, even though it would install correctly.

We have fixed this and made available a version that will run on all versions of Office. Please visit the download page and avail yourself of this version:
http://www.terminologymatters.com/downloads.html

Yours,

Ray @ Terminology Matters

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone used Quintilian?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »