Alan Boydell
Alan Boydell  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:31
French to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2005

Hi there all,

When I did my MA in the theory and practice of translation, “terminology research and management” is not something we really talked about much. As a result, it's something I've always wanted to read up on, in that I’ve been doing it for years but have never actually been told how it's SUPPOSED to be done.

Any good books people would have to recommend?

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sue Ellen Wright Jan 20, 2005

Alan Boydell wrote:

Hi there all,

When I did my MA in the theory and practice of translation, “terminology research and management” is not something we really talked about much. As a result, it's something I've always wanted to read up on, in that I’ve been doing it for years but have never actually been told how it's SUPPOSED to be done.

Any good books people would have to recommend?

This is a kind of standard on terminology, it comes in 2 volumes, any translation studies university dept library should have it (I imagine it's quite expensive).

I can't locate the exact name, but here's a ref to it from the WWW:

In addition to the standards cited above, Wright's publications include numerous articles in the field of terminology management and translation studies, edited books in these areas, and the recently published Volume I of the Handbook on Terminology Management (Amsterdam: John Benjamins, compiled together with Dr. habil. Gerhard Budin of the University of Vienna.

If you do a search for Wright and terminology, you should find more leads.

There are also terminology journals, none of whose names I remeber. I will get out my old papers and have a look later.

Terminology
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Issues in Specialized Communication

Editors
Marie-Claude L' Homme, University of Montreal, Canada
Ulrich Heid, University of Stuttgart

Consultant
Juan C. Sager, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology

ISSN: 0929-9971
E-ISSN: 1569-9994

TTR

Translation Terminology Writing

Studies in the text and its transformations

TTR
Bureau 224, Département de langue et littérature françaises
Université McGill
3460, rue McTavish
Montréal (Québec) H3A 1X9
Canada

[Edited at 2005-01-20 14:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommendation for textbook on Terminology research and management

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »