Translation of graphs & pie-charts
Thread poster: January Mercieca
January Mercieca
January Mercieca
Local time: 15:44
English to Maltese
+ ...
Feb 3, 2005

I'm translating a document from English into French & it consists of some charts & pie-charts which cant be edited.

What shall i do? Leave them english & provide a translation of the words underneath or do the graphs from scratch myself so they include the translated words?

Patrick McKeown
Patrick McKeown  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Put in a separate file Feb 3, 2005

Hello Lisa, welcome to Proz.

Have you been asked to translate the graphics directly?

The best thing is probably to include a separate file with the translated text, well-labelled so your client can easily "import" the text later.

Hope that helps,
patrick

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Several Options Feb 3, 2005

The charts and graphs have probably been embedded as bitmaps, not as the original Excel (or whatever) objects.

1. You can make text boxes which will cover the text on the originals.
2. You can ask the client to give you the original files containing the graphs.
3. You can write explanations underneath.

Contact the client if you can and ask him what he would like to have. Then choose the method which is best in terms of the time you have on your hands. The li
... See more
The charts and graphs have probably been embedded as bitmaps, not as the original Excel (or whatever) objects.

Contact the client if you can and ask him what he would like to have. Then choose the method which is best in terms of the time you have on your hands. The list above goes from most labour-intensive to least - roughly.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Don't do the graphs yourself from scratch because you'll go insane and no one will pay you for it. If the client wants you to do them from scratch, make sure you will get paid for the thankless extra work.

[Edited at 2005-02-03 12:46]
Collapse

January Mercieca
January Mercieca
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 3, 2005

PAS wrote:

Contact the client if you can and ask him what he would like to have. Then choose the method which is best in terms of the time you have on your hands. The list above goes from most labour-intensive to least - roughly.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Don't do the graphs yourself from scratch because you'll go insane and no one will pay you for it. If the client wants you to do them from scratch, make sure you will get paid for the thankless extra work.

[Edited at 2005-02-03 12:46]

The first option isnt a good one for the charts I have since the text size is very small & if i cover them up I'd take a lot of space.

I'll go for the third option, but i'll ask the client first.

Thanks for your reply.

January Mercieca
January Mercieca
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the welcome Feb 3, 2005

Patrick McKeown wrote:

Hello Lisa, welcome to Proz.

Have you been asked to translate the graphics directly?

The best thing is probably to include a separate file with the translated text, well-labelled so your client can easily "import" the text later.

Hope that helps,
patrick

No i havent been asked to translate the graphics directly. So you think i should leave them in English & provide a translation either underneath or in a separate file?

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
What I would do Feb 3, 2005

In such case, where I can't edit elements, I often create a word file with a table where I have two columns: one for the original, one for the translation. Clients really appreciate this, as they can track the correspondence between the original and the translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of graphs & pie-charts

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »