Mobile menu

Looking for Urdu dictionaries/books
Thread poster: abes_
Feb 10, 2005

I am studying Urdu, and I would like to know what the best dictionaries / verb lists are. Because I have books on grammar etc, but no real place to get my verbs and vocabulary.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I mean physical books, not the ones on the Internet.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-10 18:04]

Direct link Reply with quote
shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Various Urdu learning references exist Feb 10, 2005

You might clarify where you live and how much time you can invest in your commendable self-study of the Urdu language.

What resultant skills or abilities in the Urdu do you want to develop: conversation/social amenities, comprehension, reading of basic Urdu texts, or writing?

Assuming that English is your L1, there are a few bilingual dictionaries and glossaries (usually on specific topics) at specialized bookstores in the US (several here in southern California come to mind), Canada and UK. Try some web searches for bookstores by using meta-search engines such as < >.

If your city is home to a Pakistani community, you might go to that area and look for local bookstores that cater to those customers. You might find some bilingual references they use to enhance or reinforce their English skills.

Re word-processing in Urdu

If you later want to do word-processing with the Urdu cursive RTL script, insure your PC has MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is much the better of the two OS) and MS Office XP or 2003, as those combinations enable robust and reliable bidirectional work into Urdu script (the RTL drivers are included in the basic CD for those MS Windows OS and some usable Urdu TTF fonts are available online, as I recall).

Re e-mailing text files in the Urdu language

If you will be e-mailing Urdu-language documents to someone whose PC does not without compatible systems or compliant settings to detect and display Urdu RTL text properly, then most probably the easiest solution is for you to buy Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard (AA 7.0 may be out now, but AA 6.0 usually suffices for general purposes) and install that so you can select an Urdu file in MS Word and re-format that into a PDF version.

Hope this helps.

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California

Subhamay Ray  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:48
English to Bengali
+ ...
Some information below Feb 11, 2005

Here's some information about an Urdu to English dictionary:

Standard Twentieth Century Dictionary
Urdu into English
Compiled by Prof Bashir Ahmad Qureshi
Publisher: Educational Publishing House, 3108, Vakil Street, Dr Mirza Ahmad Ali Marg, Lal Kuan, Delhi - 110006, India
[Telephone: +91-11-7774965]

You can also try this online bookshop but I haven't used it and hence can't recommend it:

Thank you Feb 11, 2005

BarakAllahu Feekuma

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-11 13:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Urdu dictionaries/books

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs