Best way of searching Glosspost
Thread poster: Robin Salmon
Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:01
German to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2005

I usually find nothing when I search for a glossary in Glosspost. I fill in as many categories in the search form as possible but am beginning to conclude that that is doing more harm than good.

I was amazed to see it is possible to achieve ten hits by just typing in meteorology in the search box. Are the other boxes really necessary? I get the impression they make your chances of success worse.

One thing which puzzles me, though, is that the suggested keyword for the meteorology search was meteorology. this returned no results but "meteorology" just on its own returned 10 hits.

Also, as I translate only into English and therefore want source language to English glossaries, is it better to put the keyword in English or in the source language?

I am intersted in making succesful use of "Glosspost" and would welcome suggestions!

Sincerely

Robin Salmon

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:01
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It works a bit like Google Feb 14, 2005

robtrans wrote:

I usually find nothing when I search for a glossary in Glosspost. I fill in as many categories in the search form as possible but am beginning to conclude that that is doing more harm than good.

I was amazed to see it is possible to achieve ten hits by just typing in meteorology in the search box. Are the other boxes really necessary? I get the impression they make your chances of success worse.

The more specific you get, the less hits you come up with. If searching for something really specialized, it's better to use the main keyword.

Also, as I translate only into English and therefore want source language to English glossaries, is it better to put the keyword in English or in the source language?

It is better to try one method at a time. This is because many GlossPost contributors come across their resources on single assignments, and may only have given the data linked to that particular assignment. We have seen multilingual resources listed as bilingual, for example, and have had to edit those parameters.

I am intersted in making succesful use of "Glosspost" and would welcome suggestions!

Good idea for a discussion. So would we (GlossPost administrators).

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way of searching Glosspost

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs