Japanese electronic dictionaries?
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 05:04
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 27, 2002

Where to begin my search for the above resource?

I know that Seiko produces some handheld ones. I have heard that you need the Japanese Windows operating system, i.e., a completely new computer or partition your old one, as such systems won\'t run under normal Windows. I was hoping this would be untrue.

All suggestions appreciated, US sources preferred for acquisition.

Yngve Roennike

ejprotran
ejprotran
Local time: 18:04
English to Japanese
Some Useful Links May 27, 2002

Hello Yngve,

If you are particularly interested in Seiko\'s products, you might want to check the following website out. They carry a type of Japanese electric dictionaries specifically designed for those who are studying Japanese as a second language.

http://www.seiko-austin.com/

If you are also interested in other brands like Cannon and Sony, you could try Fu
... See more
Hello Yngve,

If you are particularly interested in Seiko\'s products, you might want to check the following website out. They carry a type of Japanese electric dictionaries specifically designed for those who are studying Japanese as a second language.

http://www.seiko-austin.com/

If you are also interested in other brands like Cannon and Sony, you could try Fujisan.com that carries many Japanese products as well as dictionaries.

http://www.fujisan.com/online/superstore/electronics/index.html~s177-0886119-4e~

I hope it helps.

Satoshi

----------------------------------

You wrote:

>I have heard that you need the Japanese >Windows operating system, i.e., a >completely new computer or partition your >old one, as such systems won\'t run under >normal Windows. I was hoping this would be >untrue.

What you\'ve heard is probably true in most cases. Most Japanese software in the market don\'t run on the English/other languages Windows OS systems, though I\'ve heard that there are some exceptions to it. You are right to say that you need to either install a partition into your computer, or buy a computer that the Japanese Windows OS is already preinstalled. If you are not afraid of taking a risk of messing up with the system of your computer, you could try installing a Japanese CD-ROM into it, which I\'d rather not to recommend doing so. Some Japanese CD-ROMs may run on the English Windows OS.

On the other hand, you could both read and type Japanese on the English Windows OS using \"Global IME\" that can be downloaded from the Microsoft\'s website. It would be necessary for you to figure which types of Global IME you should download depending on the type of the OS that you used. With the Global IME, it is possible that you could expand your research to websites written in Japanese where there are tons of useful information on the CD-ROM versions of Japanese electronic dictionaries and language itself.

Satoshi

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-27 18:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-27 19:11 ]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some ideas May 27, 2002

I have a Canon Wordtank ID-7200, almost 10 years old, but still works fine. This is a handheld dictionary. I know Canon had newer versions, you can probably search their website.

From your posting it is not clear however, if you are looking for a handheld dictionary or some software for your PC (dictionary or Japanese wordprocessor), since you asked about Japanese OS, etc.

There is a website (see link below) I would suggest you to check out - it has a lot of detailed informat
... See more
I have a Canon Wordtank ID-7200, almost 10 years old, but still works fine. This is a handheld dictionary. I know Canon had newer versions, you can probably search their website.

From your posting it is not clear however, if you are looking for a handheld dictionary or some software for your PC (dictionary or Japanese wordprocessor), since you asked about Japanese OS, etc.

There is a website (see link below) I would suggest you to check out - it has a lot of detailed information about this topic. I know that Windows 2000 has multilingual support, so everything must be easier with that, however I don\'t have personal experience with it (yet).

Currently I am using Japanese Windows 98, but if you read the info on this website you will see that running a Japanese OS is not the only way to get Japanese text input/display working on a Western computer.

Good luck!

Katalin H. McClure

http://website.lineone.net/~lajzar/jwinfaq/
Collapse

ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Japanese to French
Jdic May 27, 2002

I used Jdic a couple of years ago on the English version of Windows and it was very good. Many technical supplementary dictionaries are also available for Jdic.

And it\'s free.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

Good luck!

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still looking! May 27, 2002

I know Jim Breene\'s site, been there before, actually his site is a \"shared\" or \"borrowed\" one, as I understand it, from another \"official\" (university?) site. However, as I recall, it only works when pasting text into it. You cannot look up radicals based on e.g., stroke amount, in other words use it as a regular as well as an electronic dictionary.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Yngve

Quote:... See more
I know Jim Breene\'s site, been there before, actually his site is a \"shared\" or \"borrowed\" one, as I understand it, from another \"official\" (university?) site. However, as I recall, it only works when pasting text into it. You cannot look up radicals based on e.g., stroke amount, in other words use it as a regular as well as an electronic dictionary.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Yngve

Quote:

On 2002-05-27 05:30, ALAIN COTE wrote:

I used Jdic a couple of years ago on the English version of Windows and it was very good. Many technical supplementary dictionaries are also available for Jdic.

And it\'s free.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

Good luck!

Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Revisited JB's site May 27, 2002

Actually, you are right. I noticed when revisiting his site that you can look up individual kanji. However, the process is a three-step one, scrolling from one Internet site to another. This can be time-consuming. What I was looking for is a resource on CD-ROM, not a hand-held or palm-top one, where you are not hostage to the Internet and its vagaries, e.g., the site could be down, overloaded, etc. Plus you may be in a setting where you don\'t have access to the Internet.

... See more
Actually, you are right. I noticed when revisiting his site that you can look up individual kanji. However, the process is a three-step one, scrolling from one Internet site to another. This can be time-consuming. What I was looking for is a resource on CD-ROM, not a hand-held or palm-top one, where you are not hostage to the Internet and its vagaries, e.g., the site could be down, overloaded, etc. Plus you may be in a setting where you don\'t have access to the Internet.

Again, thanks for all suggestions.
Collapse

ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Japanese to French
Kanjidic May 28, 2002

I remember a nice and free software very good for searching kanjis : Kanjidic. The graphical interface was excellent, and there were many ways to look for the Kanjis (radical, total number of strikes, and so on).

Please note that Jdic is also available \"offline\" (it was \"offline\" before to become an \"online\" dictionary).

Note : I \"THINK\" it was Kanjidic (it was about 10 years ago, so I\'m not sure). If you don\'t know this software, please take a look at t
... See more
I remember a nice and free software very good for searching kanjis : Kanjidic. The graphical interface was excellent, and there were many ways to look for the Kanjis (radical, total number of strikes, and so on).

Please note that Jdic is also available \"offline\" (it was \"offline\" before to become an \"online\" dictionary).

Note : I \"THINK\" it was Kanjidic (it was about 10 years ago, so I\'m not sure). If you don\'t know this software, please take a look at the documentation...

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/kanjidic.html

Alain
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 28, 2002

Thanks to all the helpful responses. It will take me a while to digest and explore this, I am sure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese electronic dictionaries?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »