Best Spanish Medical Dictionary
Thread poster: Luna139
Luna139
Luna139
United Kingdom
Dec 11, 2016

Hi there & thanks in advance for your help!

I would like to purchase / subscribe to a Spanish to English medical dictionary & I was wondering which one is best. It needs to be extremely in-depth with all clinical terms & abbreviations found in letters, reports, lab tests etc.

Thank you for your advice.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
One of the best Dec 11, 2016

cosnautas.com

It's an English>Spanish encyclopedic dictionary.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Spanish dictionary with English terms Dec 11, 2016

I strongly recommend the Diccionario de términos médicos by the Spanish Royal Academy of Medicine (Real Academia Nacional de Medicina). ISBN 978-8498351835. Affordable, up-to-date, and comprehensive.

This is a dictionary in Spanish language with terms in English. It will help you confirm that the terms obtained from a bilingual dictionary are the right ones.

Cosnautas is definitely the way to go if you are allergic to paper.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Buzzwords vs. competent writing skills Dec 11, 2016

EllieLatina wrote:

Hi there & thanks in advance for your help!

I would like to purchase / subscribe to a Spanish to English medical dictionary & I was wondering which one is best. It needs to be extremely in-depth with all clinical terms & abbreviations found in letters, reports, lab tests etc.

Thank you for your advice.

Nothing is extremely anything. What's next? Totally in-depth? Absolutely in-depth? How about very detailed, thorough, comprehensive, etc.?

No dictionary, no matter how well conceived and structured, can substitute for so-so writing skills.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:48
Italian to English
"So-so"? Dec 15, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nothing is extremely anything.

Erm... what??? How about the novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer?

Or Royal Society of Literature fellow, writer Zadie Smith? "The roots of rap are originally ghetto-ised or extremely working class. So when you're an artist who's making something which isn't how its mainstream appearance should be, there's always these strange questions of authenticity and what you have to do to be 'real' as a rapper."

Or Oscar Wilde, maybe? "Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everyone in good society holds exactly the same opinion."

Mario Chavez wrote:
No dictionary, no matter how well conceived and structured, can substitute for so-so writing skills.

A Proz user comes asking for advice, and all you can be bothered to do is criticise their writing skills?
Perhaps the three people quoted above have "so-so writing skills" too? Or maybe you should check your own grammatical knowledge before responding?

Luna139
Luna139
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your helpful response. Much appreciated. Dec 16, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I strongly recommend the Diccionario de términos médicos by the Spanish Royal Academy of Medicine (Real Academia Nacional de Medicina). ISBN 978-8498351835. Affordable, up-to-date, and comprehensive.

This is a dictionary in Spanish language with terms in English. It will help you confirm that the terms obtained from a bilingual dictionary are the right ones.

Cosnautas is definitely the way to go if you are allergic to paper.

Luna139
Luna139
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your supportive & helpful response Fiona. I really appreciate it. Dec 16, 2016

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nothing is extremely anything.

Erm... what??? How about the novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer?

Or Royal Society of Literature fellow, writer Zadie Smith? "The roots of rap are originally ghetto-ised or extremely working class. So when you're an artist who's making something which isn't how its mainstream appearance should be, there's always these strange questions of authenticity and what you have to do to be 'real' as a rapper."

Or Oscar Wilde, maybe? "Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everyone in good society holds exactly the same opinion."

Mario Chavez wrote:

A Proz user comes asking for advice, and all you can be bothered to do is criticise their writing skills?
Perhaps the three people quoted above have "so-so writing skills" too? Or maybe you should check your own grammatical knowledge before responding?

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
My personal preference Dec 23, 2016

I utilize my Vox Medical Spanish and English Dictionary ISBN-13: 978-0071749183. Online, I am a huge fan of medlineplus.gov because all of their articles in English are also available in Spanish which is really useful when you want to know how to explain certain conditions or procedures in both languages.

[Edited at 2016-12-23 21:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Spanish Medical Dictionary

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »