Mobile menu

Need French/English glossary/dictionary suggestions
Thread poster: gad
gad
United States
Local time: 23:58
French to English
Apr 21, 2005

I have recently had quite a bit of translation work in the automotive field, for a particular agency – you know how these things can be, you start out with short, simple documents in a new field, and then since they like your work then they give you more and more – and I am at the point now where I do need good dictionaries and/or glossaries for that field. I have some links online but figure it is high time I supplement that. My language pair is French to English.

Also, the same with IT and purchasing terminology, from one company that keeps giving me work and it looks like they will continue to do so.

I have not had the chance or occasion previously to purchase these because I did not have the need yet, but I have been busier and busier with this type of work and figure by now it is more than worth the investment. Most of my translation library consists of other fields right now, which I will hang onto for when I get that work again in the future, but as you can see it’s time for me to expand that library.

All suggestions would be appreciated, particularly anything online (paid or free, either) and/or orders I can have delivered as I just don’t have the time right now to go to Librarie de France or anyplace like that, unfortunately.;)

Merci.:)

[P.S.: Also, please be nice and kindly do not respond with a lecture of why I would have accepted this work and why I do not yet have enough resources, etc. I’m asking for help to get there, so please all responses should be pleasant and constructive and respond to what I am asking. Thanks so much.]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elodie Rousseau
Mexico
Local time: 22:58
English to French
+ ...
online automotive glossaries Apr 21, 2005

Here's a few online automotive glossaries I sometimes used. You might already know them though:

Vocabulaire anglais-français de la mécatronique automobile : les systèmes de freinage http://www.termisti.refer.org/data/freinage/index.htm

GPS
http://www.scg.ulaval.ca/gps-rs/en/Research/TraductionGPS_en.html

traduction des termes techniques employés dans la mécanique automobile ainsi que dans la mécanique générale
http://the.burgund.chez.tiscali.fr/trad_cadre.htm

Hope that helps.

Elodie

Lakshmi Iyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:58
Italian to English
+ ...
La Maison du Dictonnaire Apr 22, 2005

Hello Gad,
You might want to check out the Maison du Dictonnaire (www.dicoland.com). They have a wide selection of dictionaries, are very helpful and efficient, and they deliver anywhere.
Glosspost (you'll have to google it, I'm afraid) is useful for online glossaries on various topics.
Good luck!

gad
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 22, 2005

Thanks, Elodie and Kaveri. Kaveri, I did not have that link, and Elodie, I had those but part of the problem is that I had lost some bookmarks in a recent computer upgrade (not all, just some, lol), so now I have them again, handy - merci!:)

Any other suggestions are welcome, for paper dictionaries, too. Thanks.:)

gad
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
La Maison du Dictionnaire site Apr 23, 2005

LOL - I see right away some titles that I already own (in other fields).;)

Thanks again for the link.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need French/English glossary/dictionary suggestions

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs