Voice Recognition programs/MT
Thread poster: Esther Hermida

Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 8, 2002

My client wants a proposal prepared for multiple language translation of a local political meeting transcript (300-400 wpp, maybe 75 pages long). Here\'s the catch he wants this done within 72 hrs. Can this be done!? Will voice recognition work when interpreters talk? Or a machine translation help speed up the process? Is there anyone out there for the following languages that utilizes any new technology? I will need to provide info for the following: Armenian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Russian and Spanish.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-08 14:55 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jake Estrada  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 18:34
Member (2003)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
This can be done, even via the old-fashioned way (listening to tapes) Jun 8, 2002

Hi Esther:

Speaking in behalf of Tagalog, I believe this task of approximately 22,500-30,000 words can be accomplished within 72 hours. However, you would need to use multiple translators for this, who will each be listening to their share of audio tapes (or to the parts of the single audio tape as divided accordingly).

Me and my colleagues here in Manila have our own data company that, for the past few years, has been processing tapes of conventions, seminars, speeches, etc. for English-language medical transcription projects. We don\'t use any special kind of audio technology, but we do use a workflow process that helps expedite output. We\'ve tried using dictation software (i.e. speech-to-text), but the current state of such technology is still (sadly) a hit-and-miss affair, by my experience. It\'s very much like optical character recognition (OCR) technology (converting scanned images into text)--the slope of capital investment vs. efficiency is way too steep.

And IMHO that\'s speaking for English-language products on the market today...these technologies are practically in the infantile stage when it comes to Tagalog.

If you ideally would be using a team of four (4) translators for the entire task, they would have a combined output of 8,000 to 12,000 words per day, processing English audio tapes into Tagalog--or between 24,000 to 36,000 words for the entire 72-hour turnaround timeframe.

Those translators wouldn\'t be using any machine translation technology. If you would be using MT, productivity would perhaps increase by 10% to 25% IMHO, but that\'s it--efficiency would remain largely determined by the rate of speech recognition at the listening level.

If you would like to discuss further details on this topic and regarding Tagalog, please feel free to email me at jake_irwin.estrada@up.edu.ph, or at 1.0@www.com.

Hope this helps!

xxxwilliamson
Local time: 11:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
Etaco Jun 8, 2002

http://www.etaco.com. Not 100% but might come handy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice Recognition programs/MT

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs