I really need English interpretations of Latin literature
Thread poster: Nathan Pitman
Nathan Pitman
Nathan Pitman
English
May 23, 2005

I am doing a school Latin assignment that involves the translation of authors such as Livy, Caesar, Cicero, Virgil, Horace and Tibullus and I hope I am posting in the correct place. The teacher actually recommends that we find others' interpretations of the set texts and use them to help ourselves. I think he said that these interpretations were called "cribs". Either way, I really need to find a website with these cribs. Does anyone know any?

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 23:01
English
Google? CLiff's Notes? May 23, 2005

A "crib" is a bilingual edition that has the text on one page and the translation on the facing page.

You could also use the Penguin Classics series (if that is not the course book), or other translations you might find that cover the texts you need. "Cliff's Notes" is a popular US study aid that might have translations of Latin classics.

Also, check online for the various sites with classics and translations. I've seen them for Saxon poetry and Beowulf, so Pliny and
... See more
A "crib" is a bilingual edition that has the text on one page and the translation on the facing page.

You could also use the Penguin Classics series (if that is not the course book), or other translations you might find that cover the texts you need. "Cliff's Notes" is a popular US study aid that might have translations of Latin classics.

Also, check online for the various sites with classics and translations. I've seen them for Saxon poetry and Beowulf, so Pliny and Catullus are probably out there. Try searching with the author's name and the word "translation".
Collapse

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:01
French to English
Loeb Classic Library May 24, 2005

Hi,

Perhaps this link: http://www.hup.harvard.edu/loeb/author.html will help you. I expect you should be able to find this at most university libraries.

Bruce

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:01
Italian to German
you can also try May 24, 2005

http://www.uccellis.ud.it/Webschmurr/lettlat.htm
If there is "Anglia" written next to the link or on the linked page, it's with English.
Greetings from Udine
Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I really need English interpretations of Latin literature

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »