Question on the English Legal System
Thread poster: eva75
eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2005

I need to find out the exact role of the Director of Public Prosecutions in the UK Legal System, in particular England. I've tried googling to find the answer, but to no avail. Can anyone help or give me a good link on the English Legal System.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-11 11:01]

Alarch Gwyn
Alarch Gwyn  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
German to English
DPP Jun 11, 2005

[quote]eva75 wrote:

I need to find out the exact role of the Director of Public Prosecutions in the UK Legal System, in particular England.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) is the head of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and answers to the Attorney-General (legal adviser to the Crown and a member of government) who, in turn, is accountable to Parliament for the work of the DPP and also appoints the DPP. The DPP must be a barrister or solicitor of at least ten years' standing.

The DPP may appear for the prosecution in criminal appeals to the House of Lords and to the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division).

The CPS itself was set up in 1986 in order to separate the investigation of crime, which is the job of the police, from prosecution itself. The CPS becomes active when the police decide to prosecute and institute proceedings. At this point full responsibility for the prosecution or the decision to discontinue proceedings passes to the CPS. There are 13 prosecution areas which each have their own Chief Crown Prosecutor.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:53
Italian to English
Full details on this website Jun 11, 2005

http://www.cps.gov.uk/index.html

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 12, 2005

Thanks for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on the English Legal System

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »