Here's an open source CAT-tool:

Direct link Reply with quote

Lydia Foster  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Get involved! Jun 23, 2005

Hi everyone,

As observer of the project from day one, as well as the developer's sister, I'd encourage you to all get involved!

It's a project for people like us to make our job easier —not done for profit like other major companies —so they're looking for feedback on what we think about the tool, how it can be improved, any bugs found etc. The great thing about it is that it deals with formats that Wordfast and Trados can't deal with.

From a personal experience I hate having to convert .sxw files into .doc just so I can use Wordfast so any new tools that can be used to translate .sxw files is great!

Here's the excerpt from website posted by Elrubio

Call for help !
We're interested in people working with us at all levels. There are mailing lists set up for developers and users, and we have an issue-tracking system that is waiting to be filled with bug reports.

Here's a few categories you as a member of the Open Language Tools project might fall into - these are all areas that we need help in, so we'd love to have you work in any (or all, if you're super talented!) of these categories :

Users - Do you use translation tools ? We'd love to hear your feedback

Testers - Our tools have bugs in them and you can help find them and gain the undying gratitude of users and developers alike ! Let us know if you can help (and file an issue at the same time !) (I'm still working on configuring the issue tracker)

GUI Developers - Are you proficient in Swing, if so the Translation Editor could use your help.

Filter Developers - Maybe you're a command-line junkie (like me) or you're an expert in file formats we don't yet cover, you might be interested in looking at the XLIFF Filters, please drop us a mail

i18n Developers - While everything we do in the Open Language Tools project is based around Unicode, we haven't yet written proper messaging-handling support into our code, so we're in the embarassing situation of writing translation tools that can't actually be translated ! We need your help !

Technical writers - Think you can do a better job documenting our software ? (probably not too hard) Please, let us know - we don't have much documentation at the moment.

Translators - Apart from being the experts in translation tools, maybe you'd like to try translating our software or documentation into other languages ? Send us email - but before you do that, read this FAQ first !

Graphics designers - Our project lacks good icons and graphical elements, and our home page contains just text. Perhaps you'd like to help brighten things up ? Talk to us

I'm sure there's other areas we need help in - in fact, maybe we need help in determining where we need help

We'd really appreciate your input : you're welcome and encouraged to join project Open Language Tools as an Observer - if you've got cool stuff to submit back to us, we can definitely chat about making you a Developer.

Cheers all,

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It appears to produce non-standard XLIFF files...? Jun 24, 2005

elrubio wrote:
Here's an open source CAT-tool:

I've seem discussions about this tool on other translator forums. On many people's systems it appears to produce XLIFF files which are incompatible with Heartsome's XLIFF editors, and it is unable to successfully open some XLIFF documents produced by Heartsome and other tools. It obviously needs work.

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
English to French
Gonna try it out... Jun 24, 2005

However, one thing this puppy needs is a proper name.

"Open Language tools" doesn't sound like one.

My 2 cts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open source CAT tool from Sun (and developer Tim Foster): Open Language Tools

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs