Online prep courses for Institute of Linguists\' Diploma in Translation
Thread poster: pds
pds
English to German
+ ...
Jun 17, 2002

Good morning, Proz!

I just came across this page: http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.htm

London City U offering distance learning prep courses for the Institute of Linguists\' Diploma in Translation.

Before I commit my time and money I\'d like to know whether it\'s worth it. Has anyone out there ever taken this DE course?

I would appreciate any comments, information about similar courses etc.

Cheers, PDS

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBBaur
United States
Local time: 16:52
English to German
+ ...
NYU translation certificate online Jun 18, 2002

Hello pds,

there is a course for a translation certificate German>English online at NYU.

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/dyncon/virt/cour_cert_germ.html

Good luck,

Birgit

Amy Sommer  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Try it! Jun 19, 2002

I am currently following the distance learning course with City University and find it very good. They prepare for the Institute of Linguists exams held in January. You should visit the site iol.org.uk for further info. Whether it is worth it depends on what you are looking for. I am doing it to obtain a diploma in translation which I need for working in Switzerland and which I cannot get here without three years of full time study.

Heather Ferlicchia  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:52
German to English
International Centre for Distance Learning Jun 19, 2002

Hi PDS,

As far as the City University course is concerned, I can only say that the university itself has quite a good reputation but is more well-known in the field of science than for languages. I never took the course, information about it would interest me too

However, I can give you a link to the International Center for Distance Learning, which provides info and links to institutions worldwide offering all sorts of DL courses - including the IoL Diploma, Master\'s degrees in translation, linguistics etc. etc. Here it is:

http://www-icdl.open.ac.uk

Hope that helps a bit!

Heather

mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
French to English
+ ...
Cardiff University Jun 19, 2002

I\'m currently doing preparation for the Diploma by distance learning with the University of Cardiff (French-English). I\'ve found it pretty good so far.

http://www.cf.ac.uk/learn/translate/

Colin

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Me too Jun 19, 2002

I\'m preparing the Translation Certificate English-French with \"le Collège Universitaire de Saint Boniface, Mannitoba, Canada\"

http://www.ustboniface.mb.ca

They also offer French-English.

I really appreciate that you can take your time (10 courses, you can follow several or just one by one in each season), I am improving my Canadian French (I think at the end I\'ll have a good knowledge of it), and you can do every thing by Internet !

I know other courses by Internet that imply that you have to go there to pass the exams. I wouldn\'t be able to. I was asked to send a document testifying my identity and my previous diplomas.

I\'m just at my first course but people who are studying with me and have already done several courses are satisfied.

But of course, your decision depends on the languages they offer too.

Good luck

Claudia

Doris Cabezas  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Online prep courses for Institute of Linguists' Diploma in Translation Jun 24, 2002

I would also be interested in obtaining more information about the distance learning in translations. I went to the website but they do not mention any fees. I know NYU offers distance courses, but their fees are quite high.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online prep courses for Institute of Linguists\' Diploma in Translation

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs