LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2005

For those of you who don't know:

By clicking on the "IMAGES" search at the top of Google's home page, you can enter a word or term and get a picture of the object in question, sometimes resulting in instant recognition and an epiphany "Oh - that's an xxxx"

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand glossaries.

[Edited at 2005-07-05 20:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:47
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Very interesting Jul 5, 2005

Thanks, Jeff, I did not know about this before, and it is likely to come in very useful. I have just tested it out on dogs and cats, and got lots of sweet cat and dog pictures. However, seriously, there are so many times when I come across a peculiar German word and I would like to say to someone, "Show me what the thing looks like, and then I will know the English word for it."

So, thanks very much for this extremely useful snippet of information.

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Images, too Jul 6, 2005

Google maps is a fairly new invention from Google. It offers maps, city plans and (that's the best part) satellite images of the world.
Image resolution for most cities lets you see individual cars on streets. Images are said to be "current but not real-time".

Real time images are available through NASA's Worldwind software (free to download and use), but refreshing the images requires massive computer resources and an internet connection the size of the Nile.

Google maps are here:

Pawel Skalinski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google image search

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs