Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:12
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 17, 2005

I translate from English to Dutch. I use an English-Dutch dictionary (Van Dale) and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and would like a comparable dictionary for American English.

I have been looking at the Merriam Webster Unabridged (allegedly the newest edition still looks much like the 1961 edition), the Random House Unabridged (the fresh July 2005 edition is said to be a reprint of the 1999 edition), the Oxford American English and the American Heritage Dictionary.

... See more
I translate from English to Dutch. I use an English-Dutch dictionary (Van Dale) and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and would like a comparable dictionary for American English.

I have been looking at the Merriam Webster Unabridged (allegedly the newest edition still looks much like the 1961 edition), the Random House Unabridged (the fresh July 2005 edition is said to be a reprint of the 1999 edition), the Oxford American English and the American Heritage Dictionary.

Which one would you recommend? Or would you advise an online subscription (to e.g. the Merriam Webster Unabridged)?
Collapse

vptrans
vptrans
English to German
+ ...
The American Heritage Dictionary is an excellent source for the best of American English. Jul 17, 2005

Hester Eymers wrote:

Which one would you recommend? Or would you advise an online subscription (to e.g. the Merriam Webster Unabridged)?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:12
German to English
Here's a link to the 2000 edition of the AHD Jul 17, 2005

A current link to the 2000 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary:
http://www.bartleby.com/61/

Hester Eymers
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
American Heritage or other? Jul 20, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions.

The link to the American Heritage Dictionary online is already a nice help. I find that it provides more answers than the Merriam Webster online (if you're non-paying that is).

More advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Hester

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
British/American English Dictionary Jul 20, 2005

This may be slightly off topic, but nevertheless useful I think if you want to understand the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between British and American English (e.g. Americans are 'blown away', Brits are 'impressed'):

http://cgi.peak.org/~jeremy/retort.cgi?American=random

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Webster's Jul 22, 2005

Any version of a Webster's dictionary is generally consider "the" dictionary of American English. See the Merriam-Webster website at http://www.m-w.com/. Which version you choose (paper, online, unabridged, etc) is kind of personal preference.

I hope this helps.:)

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Slightly off-topic but still much appreciated Jul 22, 2005

kimjasper wrote:

This may be slightly off topic, but nevertheless useful I think if you want to understand the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between British and American English (e.g. Americans are 'blown away', Brits are 'impressed'):

http://cgi.peak.org/~jeremy/retort.cgi?American=random

Here's an angecy that specializes in "translation" between British and American English. I attended the owner's presentation at the ATA Conference in Los Angeles in 2001.

[Edited at 2005-08-03 00:13]

[Edited at 2005-08-03 00:13]

Hester Eymers
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 2, 2005

Thanks again for the advice! And the nice and helpful websites!

Hester

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for: American English Dictionary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »