Translators with SAP experience
Thread poster: Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:16
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2002

This question has been bothering me lately: Some job posters require translators with SAP experience. Although I know what SAP is, I would like to understand better what do they mean? And what do I do to gain the requested experience?

I am not sure this is the right forum to post my question, but I couldn\'t think of something else. And I am all new in Proz.com.

Thank you, Diana.

Direct link Reply with quote

GILOU  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:16
Member (2002)
English to French
SAP Jun 23, 2002

Bonjour, je vous renvoie à ce lien pour obtenir des informations

Bonne chance

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=410&topic=2990&forum=25&4

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
SAP Jun 23, 2002

SAP (like JD Edwards) is the MsOffice of the multinationals. Any big corporation always has the same structure: Finance-accounting dept.,marketing dept., HRM department,Ops.management department,...

SAP integrates the workflow of these departments.

To be able to understand it and use it well, I would say, go to any business-school and follow either a business-education and get a job at a big corporation. Try to learn a much as you can at this corporation. An experience at a corporation can be a lesson for life.

It is a rather expensive program, so for you to buy it would require that you have a considerable amount of money and... it would be useless for personal use.

Or do like I do, get to know somebody whose company is the reseller for SAP and accompany this person for free when he installs the program at a company.

Or pay €1500 euro for an SAP-training of two days. (Tip: no penny-pinching when you are an SAP-trainer and plenty of work).

Mind you, the price offered for an SAP-translator on this forum is far too low given the knowledge and experience required to be able to use and understand it properly.

Instead of a price range of €0,06/word (Trados required which means an even lower rate for repetitions), it should be around €0,12-0,15. People with postgraduate business education degree like an MBA do not invest in such an expensive education to get paid €0,06/word.

Of course, the profit on the agency which offers this type of translation is about €0,06 or somewhat more per word.

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
Small mistake Jun 23, 2002

Saw from your profile that you already have a business-degree. Well, then the thing to do would be to follow an SAP-training ($1500-two days), a in-house job at a corporation where they use SAP or find someone who installs and gives training in the program.

Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:16
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SAP Jun 23, 2002

Thank you Mr. Meunier. Not only the discussion at the French forum is very interesting, but I had to polish my French, which is something I don\'t have many opportunities to do.

And thank you Mr. (or Ms.?) Williamson, for your comprehensive answer. I think that your idea of accompanying a reseller for SAP is excellent, and I even know somebody.

I can see that all over the world, freelance translators forums are crowded with discussions about rates. My worries are much far than that! This is my second career, and I started to work as a translator only two years ago. I must admit I am astonished of the endless amount of time and effort I have to spend trying to get a fair opportunity to use my skills. I assume it is the same in most professions if you work on your own, and I probably wasn\'t aware of that because as an Accountant, I was used to nice steady salaries. I spend time wondering what is the key to success in our profession? Do you think that nowdays, to positionate himself/herself better in the market, a translator needs to have and use translation software, Cat tools, etc., or there is still a place for the \"romantic\" translator who doesn\'t want to computerize all the stages of his/her work?

Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators with SAP experience

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs