Translators with SAP experience
Thread poster: Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:00
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2002

This question has been bothering me lately: Some job posters require translators with SAP experience. Although I know what SAP is, I would like to understand better what do they mean? And what do I do to gain the requested experience?

I am not sure this is the right forum to post my question, but I couldn\'t think of something else. And I am all new in Proz.com.

Thank you, Diana.

Direct link Reply with quote

GILOU  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:00
Member (2002)
English to French
SAP Jun 23, 2002

Bonjour, je vous renvoie à ce lien pour obtenir des informations

Bonne chance

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=410&topic=2990&forum=25&4

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
SAP Jun 23, 2002

SAP (like JD Edwards) is the MsOffice of the multinationals. Any big corporation always has the same structure: Finance-accounting dept.,marketing dept., HRM department,Ops.management department,...

SAP integrates the workflow of these departments.

To be able to understand it and use it well, I would say, go to any business-school and follow either a business-education and get a job at a big corporation. Try to learn a much as you can at this corporation. An experience at a corporation can be a lesson for life.

It is a rather expensive program, so for you to buy it would require that you have a considerable amount of money and... it would be useless for personal use.

Or do like I do, get to know somebody whose company is the reseller for SAP and accompany this person for free when he installs the program at a company.

Or pay €1500 euro for an SAP-training of two days. (Tip: no penny-pinching when you are an SAP-trainer and plenty of work).

Mind you, the price offered for an SAP-translator on this forum is far too low given the knowledge and experience required to be able to use and understand it properly.

Instead of a price range of €0,06/word (Trados required which means an even lower rate for repetitions), it should be around €0,12-0,15. People with postgraduate business education degree like an MBA do not invest in such an expensive education to get paid €0,06/word.

Of course, the profit on the agency which offers this type of translation is about €0,06 or somewhat more per word.

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
Small mistake Jun 23, 2002

Saw from your profile that you already have a business-degree. Well, then the thing to do would be to follow an SAP-training ($1500-two days), a in-house job at a corporation where they use SAP or find someone who installs and gives training in the program.

Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:00
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SAP Jun 23, 2002

Thank you Mr. Meunier. Not only the discussion at the French forum is very interesting, but I had to polish my French, which is something I don\'t have many opportunities to do.

And thank you Mr. (or Ms.?) Williamson, for your comprehensive answer. I think that your idea of accompanying a reseller for SAP is excellent, and I even know somebody.

I can see that all over the world, freelance translators forums are crowded with discussions about rates. My worries are much far than that! This is my second career, and I started to work as a translator only two years ago. I must admit I am astonished of the endless amount of time and effort I have to spend trying to get a fair opportunity to use my skills. I assume it is the same in most professions if you work on your own, and I probably wasn\'t aware of that because as an Accountant, I was used to nice steady salaries. I spend time wondering what is the key to success in our profession? Do you think that nowdays, to positionate himself/herself better in the market, a translator needs to have and use translation software, Cat tools, etc., or there is still a place for the \"romantic\" translator who doesn\'t want to computerize all the stages of his/her work?

Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators with SAP experience

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs