French medical dictionary in electronic format
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
Danish to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2005

Is this worth sinking about 100 bucks into:

Grand Bilingue - Dictionnaire de la médecine et de la santé français/anglais - anglais/français

Basé sur le nouveau Words Sciences de la santé (D. Carnet, G. Foucher, P. Walker, L. Jeannin) publié chez Ellipses avec un vaste renforcement du vocabulaire médical technique.
Le vocabulaire utilisé dans les différentes composantes de la médecine et de la santé : médecine générale, médecines de spécialités, médecine parallèles, médecine préventive, médecine humanitaire, recherche médicale, éthique médicale... Une très large part est consacrée à l'utilisation des termes techniques au sein d'expressions.110 000 mots et expressions.

PS. I was slightly disappointed by "Flammarion," i.e., the dictionnaire des Termes Medicaus et biologiques et des medicament by Gary S. Hill.
Could this one be any better or particularly more extensive? How reliable is it?

Your comments invited.

Direct link Reply with quote

Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moving this topic to... Mar 10, 2006

...Translator Resources.

Anna Fitzgerald  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:54
French to English
Did you end up buying the Grand bilingue santé? Jun 11, 2006

Hi Yngve,

I too am considering buying this dictionary, but I would like to get the opinion of those who have used it. I own Flammarion's medical dictionary (Serge Kernbaum), but it is really just a French dictionary with the most common English equivalents. I've also recently subscribed to Termium and am wondering how the Grand bilingue compares to that. Finally, I was thinking of buying the Delamare FrenchEnglish medical dictionary but would prefer something electronic.

I'd appreciate any info on the Grand bilingue or other useful French->English medical terminology resources.

Thanks in advance,

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
Jury still out! Jun 12, 2006

Thanks for feedback, especially about the other references. I understand that particularly Termium is quite expensive and perhaps Canadian-French slanted.

As for the Grande Bilingue, etc., a vendor in VA, i.e., should have it in stock later this month, after I've asked them repeatedly about it, e.g., since last posting. I do not know where else to get it, do you?

If you know German, I recommend Bunje, although not in electronic format. It is immense, and can be used cross-linguistically even for French, especially when chemistry is involved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French medical dictionary in electronic format

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs