Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 12:33
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2005

Is this worth sinking about 100 bucks into:

Grand Bilingue - Dictionnaire de la médecine et de la santé français/anglais - anglais/français

Basé sur le nouveau Words Sciences de la santé (D. Carnet, G. Foucher, P. Walker, L. Jeannin) publié chez Ellipses avec un vaste renforcement du vocabulaire médical technique.
Le vocabulaire utilisé dans les différentes composantes de la médecine et de la santé : médecine générale, médecines de spécialités,
... See more
Is this worth sinking about 100 bucks into:

Grand Bilingue - Dictionnaire de la médecine et de la santé français/anglais - anglais/français

Basé sur le nouveau Words Sciences de la santé (D. Carnet, G. Foucher, P. Walker, L. Jeannin) publié chez Ellipses avec un vaste renforcement du vocabulaire médical technique.
Le vocabulaire utilisé dans les différentes composantes de la médecine et de la santé : médecine générale, médecines de spécialités, médecine parallèles, médecine préventive, médecine humanitaire, recherche médicale, éthique médicale... Une très large part est consacrée à l'utilisation des termes techniques au sein d'expressions.110 000 mots et expressions.

PS. I was slightly disappointed by "Flammarion," i.e., the dictionnaire des Termes Medicaus et biologiques et des medicament by Gary S. Hill.
Could this one be any better or particularly more extensive? How reliable is it?

Your comments invited.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moving this topic to... Mar 10, 2006

...Translator Resources.

Nancy

Anna Fitzgerald
Anna Fitzgerald  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:33
French to English
Did you end up buying the Grand bilingue santé? Jun 11, 2006

Hi Yngve,

I too am considering buying this dictionary, but I would like to get the opinion of those who have used it. I own Flammarion's medical dictionary (Serge Kernbaum), but it is really just a French dictionary with the most common English equivalents. I've also recently subscribed to Termium and am wondering how the Grand bilingue compares to that. Finally, I was thinking of buying the Delamare FrenchEnglish medical dictionary but would prefer something electronic.

... See more
Hi Yngve,

I too am considering buying this dictionary, but I would like to get the opinion of those who have used it. I own Flammarion's medical dictionary (Serge Kernbaum), but it is really just a French dictionary with the most common English equivalents. I've also recently subscribed to Termium and am wondering how the Grand bilingue compares to that. Finally, I was thinking of buying the Delamare FrenchEnglish medical dictionary but would prefer something electronic.

I'd appreciate any info on the Grand bilingue or other useful French->English medical terminology resources.

Thanks in advance,
Anna
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jury still out! Jun 12, 2006

Thanks for feedback, especially about the other references. I understand that particularly Termium is quite expensive and perhaps Canadian-French slanted.

As for the Grande Bilingue, etc., a vendor in VA, i.e., Sofworld.com should have it in stock later this month, after I've asked them repeatedly about it, e.g., since last posting. I do not know where else to get it, do you?

If you know German, I recommend Bunje, although not in electronic format. It is immense, and
... See more
Thanks for feedback, especially about the other references. I understand that particularly Termium is quite expensive and perhaps Canadian-French slanted.

As for the Grande Bilingue, etc., a vendor in VA, i.e., Sofworld.com should have it in stock later this month, after I've asked them repeatedly about it, e.g., since last posting. I do not know where else to get it, do you?

If you know German, I recommend Bunje, although not in electronic format. It is immense, and can be used cross-linguistically even for French, especially when chemistry is involved.

YR
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French medical dictionary in electronic format

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »