Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Role of Notary Public?
Thread poster: eva75

eva75
English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2005

I need to find out the exact role of a notary public for a terminology thesis. I would be very grateful if a native English speaker from the UK who has experience in legal issues explain to me exactly what a notary public does.

Thank you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-21 21:39]

[Edited at 2005-07-21 22:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:34
French to Spanish
+ ...
It's a man... Jul 21, 2005

...who signs a lot of papers and make you sign the same ones you don't understand and take money right out of your pocket, and a lot!
Ain't that right?

eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeps! Jul 21, 2005

Thanks for the answer, however, I was looking for a more comprehensive defintion!

Juan Jacob wrote:

...who signs a lot of papers and make you sign the same ones you don't understand and take money right out of your pocket, and a lot!
Ain't that right?

Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
No answer... Jul 21, 2005

...so far. See? Nobody knows!

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:34
English to Latvian
+ ...
... or a woman ;o)) Jul 21, 2005

I would suggest you to visit Wikipedia and read a little bit about notaries public ;o)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_Public

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
Latvian to English
+ ...
This may help Jul 21, 2005

I'm afraid I can't give you a simple answer to your question, but this web-site may be of help (at least for some background info)
http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

craigs
Local time: 18:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
person legally empowered to witness and certify... Jul 21, 2005

notary public
n. pl. notaries public Abbr. NP

A person legally empowered to witness and certify the validity of documents and to take affidavits and depositions.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=notary%20public

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
I'm confused (includes a definition) Jul 22, 2005

Juan Jacob wrote:

Ain't that right?

A notary public is someone who verifies that a document was signed by the person whose signature is on it. I have no idea how that relates to what you described.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
It depends on the different countries Jul 22, 2005

Notary Publicas have different duties depending on the countries. From your post, I assume you need to know waht a Notary Public in the UK respopnsibilities are. I suppose Juan was kidding about Notary Publics in Mexico.

nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Notaries in Mexico Jul 22, 2005

Sorry, Eva, I can't help you but I agree with Juan. Yesterday I found out that my notary was planning in my time and a lot of my money without even bothering to tell me that I was expected to be in a certain place at a certain time. Just venting my anger....

Ana Brause  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A man???? Jul 22, 2005

Juan Jacob wrote:

Ain't that right?

Hi Juan, guess what? I'm a Notary Public and I am a woman... well perhaps thats why I am not as rich as the Queen... ha ha ha...
Now talking seriously, specially to Eva,the role of a Notary Public is different according to the country.
In UK and USA, a notary public is a state officer whose function is to attest and certify, by his hand and official seal, various documents, in order to give them authenticity in other jurisdictions, to take acknowledgments of deeds and other conveyances and instruments, and to certify the same, and to perform other official acts, the power to do which is conferred by statutory enactment.
This is true also for Notaries in Latin countries, but their role is amplified. Are you only interested in Notaries in UK? I am at your disposal for any further information you may need, if you are interested in the role of a Notary Public in Uruguay (or other South American country).
Cheers!!

Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
My apologies. Jul 22, 2005

I was jocking. Can't we do that sometimes around here? I know, as well as Niamh Ruddy, what Public Notaries are for... nevertheless, we still have the same opinion... no offense.

Luis Zepeda
United States
Local time: 15:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Role of Notary public Jul 22, 2005

As a matter of note, the role of notary public is different from country to country. In the US, a public notary is nothing more than someone who verifies your signature on a document without attesting to anything else other than the fact they have seen you sign a document. In Mexico is something else where the Notario Publico is a professional (normally also an attorney) who does other things besides witnessing a signature.

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Then should it be translated as Notary Public? Jul 22, 2005

Luis Zepeda wrote:

As a matter of note, the role of notary public is different from country to country. In the US, a public notary is nothing more than someone who verifies your signature on a document without attesting to anything else other than the fact they have seen you sign a document. In Mexico is something else where the Notario Publico is a professional (normally also an attorney) who does other things besides witnessing a signature.

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Link of google defintions Jul 22, 2005

Here are some more definitions from Google:
Definiciones de Notary Public en la web en inglés:

* One who is authorized by the state or federal government to administer oaths and to attest to the authenticity of signatures.
64.122.186.137/glossary.cfm

* An officer appointed by the governor with authority to take the acknowledgment of persons executing documents and to sign the certificate and affix a seal.
http://www.officefinder.com/gloss2.html

* A state licensed public officer who administers oaths, certifies documents and performs other specified functions. A notary public’s signature and seal may be required to authenticate signatures on certain legal documents.
http://www.rclaw.com/glossary.htm

* a public figure authorized to attest to the signing of documents, such as deeds or mortgages. The notary public certifies that he or she has witnessed the signing of the document by also signing the document and affixing his or her official seal.
http://www.ots.treas.gov/glossary/gloss-n.html

* A designation authorized by law and administered by the government, allowing a designated person to verify and certify signatures and copies of documents.
http://www.omegarealtors.com/Glossary/default.asp

* A public officer whose function it is to administer oaths; to attest and certify, by his hand and official seal certain class of documents.
http://www.autotitling.com/industry/glossary.asp

* An official authorized by law to witness or attest to an acknowledgment by a person who has executed an instrument.
http://www.all-foreclosure.com/define/define4.htm

* One who is authorized by federal or local government to attest authentic signatures and administer oaths.
http://www.sarasotafloridausa.com/real-estate-terms.html

* Public officer given the right to authenticate a document, accept a person's oath, administer depositions, and to conduct other activities in commercial business. An official seal is used by the Notary.
www.yourwebassistant.net/glossary/n4.htm

* A person authorized by law and specifically designated to administer oaths, certify and authenticate specific documents, and perform other prescribed acts.
court.nol.org/publications/glossary.htm

* A designated official authorized by law to attest and certify certain documents by his or her hand and official seal.
www.rhstitle.com/titleDictionary.lasso

* a public officer commissioned by the Secretary of State for a four-year term and holds an office of trust and profit.
soswy.state.wy.us/notary/definiti.htm

* person who acknowledges oaths, such as the signing of a grant deed or deed of trust; must be duly appointed by the property authorities.
www.escrowhelp.com/glossary_title.html

* A public official whose duty is to administer oaths and witness numerous types of official documents.
www.courts.state.mn.us/districts/fourth/General/LegalTerms5.htm

* He is a person appointed by a state for a specified period of time, which can be renewed, to administer certain oaths and to attest and certify documents. He is thus authorized to take affidavits and depositions.
www.indiainfoline.com/bisc/jmfn.html

* A person authorized by provincial law to take affidavits and declarations under oath.
www.easywill.ca/glossary.htm

* A person authorized by the state where the signature is being made to witness the signature on certain legal documents
www.4structures.com/4structures/front/global/template/glossary.jsp

* a person, generally a lawyer, who compares an original with a copy of a document and declares that the copy is an exact duplicate of the original.
www.mndm.gov.on.ca/mndm/mines/lands/policies/glossary_e.asp

* One authorized to take acknowledgments of certain types of documents, such as deeds, contracts, and mortgages.
www.home-loans-va.com/home_loans_n.htm

* A public official who attests or certifies writings to make the signatures legally authentic.
bnz.co.nz/About_Us/1,1184,3-240-617-2804,00.html

* notary: someone legally empowered to witness signatures and certify a document's validity and to take depositions
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* A notary public is an officer who can administer and give oaths, and perform certain other acts varying from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Role of Notary Public?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs