Thread poster: Austra Muizniece

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:32
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jul 30, 2005

I was going crazy, translating a document into Latvian, which contains many tables with bolt sizes in inches, when in Latvian metric sizes should be used. I found this site to be very useful...

http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/home_garden/bolts.html

Direct link Reply with quote

A.G.
Local time: 05:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Don't do that! Jul 30, 2005

austra muizniece wrote:

I was going crazy, translating a document into Latvian, which contains many tables with bolt sizes in inches, when in Latvian metric sizes should be used. I found this site to be very useful...

It is not your duty to convert inches into mm. Each thread size goes with a relevant standard, tooling, gauges etc. Really 3/8" is not the same as M10, even if it looks very similiar.

Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Jul 30, 2005

Thanks Latvia, for sharing this information with us. As a technical translator, I usually have to deal with bolts sizes and types and this link seems to be very helpful.

I have immediately added it to my "favorites".

Marianela

Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excuse me, Austra Jul 30, 2005

Please excuse me for changing your name in my previous post.

Marianela

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Jul 30, 2005

Happens all the time - I'm either Latvia or Austria:))

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer from client regarding this issue is pending... Jul 30, 2005

...therefore I'm still converting, leaving inches in brackets.

Any other opionions on this matter?

A.G. wrote:

austra muizniece wrote:

It is not your duty to convert inches into mm. Each thread size goes with a relevant standard, tooling, gauges etc. Really 3/8" is not the same as M10, even if it looks very similiar.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I wouldn't convert Jul 30, 2005

For Denmark, at least, it's also true that inches defining bolt sizes etc. should not be converted, since the tools for these bolts are also defined using inches.

Perfect that you have asked the client, but for next time maybe you should also visit the local hardware store (in case you don't already know) to see whether wrenches etc. use inch definitions or metric definitions in your country.
In the end, the text (I assume) is for the people who use the bolts and tools for same, and therefore it should of course be applying the measures that they can understand.

Have a nice weekend

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Definitely metric Jul 30, 2005

We have metric standards here, though I assume it could be possible to buy inch definition wrenches in some stores. The thing is, I doubt if my client will send all the standard tooling to those who purchase their products. Makes me a little confused.:)

PCovs wrote:

For Denmark, at least, it's also true that inches defining bolt sizes etc. should not be converted, since the tools for these bolts are also defined using inches.

Perfect that you have asked the client, but for next time maybe you should also visit the local hardware store (in case you don't already know) to see whether wrenches etc. use inch definitions or metric definitions in your country.
In the end, the text (I assume) is for the people who use the bolts and tools for same, and therefore it should of course be applying the measures that they can understand.

Have a nice weekend

Michael Hesselnberg  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
If you are working frequently Jul 30, 2005

[quote]austra muizniece wrote:

with technical translations about bolts, here is a French link about bolts, to see them all, gon on "la solution"

Michael

http://galiana.free.fr/cassetet.html

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 30, 2005

Will keep that in mind too.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
off topic but still... Jul 30, 2005

My immediate reaction was the same as A.G.'s, but I'd qualify it by saying that IMO you shouldn't convert dimensions (or any other type of technical specifications) without the explicit approval of the client. As A.G. said, inch and metric standards are not interchangeable, and besides that, the client may be unpleasantly surprised to find his Latvian customers expecting him to provide metric hardware. The question of whether inch-standard tools and hardware are available in Latvia is the client's concern, not yours.

[Edited at 2005-07-30 20:13]

[Edited at 2005-07-30 20:14]

A.G.
English to Polish
+ ...
torque wrench Jul 30, 2005

This link provides an excellent guide for establishing the necessary amount of preload to any bolted connection (be it metric or imperial). I added it to my favorites. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with any conversion!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good conversion site for bolts

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs