Thread poster: Martina Perini
Martina Perini
Martina Perini
Italy
Local time: 12:51
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 25, 2002

I don\'t speak spanish but I understood your questions, hope you don\'t mind me answering in English!

1)Based on my experience, both localization and localisation are correct, the first is simply the american spelling while the second is the english spelling.

2) What is it?

Put in simple terms, localization(sation)is the translation of software related material (Software refers to the full interface as seen on-screen by the user. It includes menu items, dialogue box
... See more
I don\'t speak spanish but I understood your questions, hope you don\'t mind me answering in English!

1)Based on my experience, both localization and localisation are correct, the first is simply the american spelling while the second is the english spelling.

2) What is it?

Put in simple terms, localization(sation)is the translation of software related material (Software refers to the full interface as seen on-screen by the user. It includes menu items, dialogue box items, tool tips, status bar messages, toolbar items, error messages and strings (any message)

Often, Localization(sation) includes the adaptation of contents to national standards and conventions.

Punctuation marks (e.g. spaces, quotations etc)

Measurements

Data and number formats, decimal separator; currencies, etc.

It\'s basically the translation and adaptation of software to the target language market.

Check this web site: http://www.lisa.org/

It\'s the Localisation Industry Standard Association
Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Localize, not localise Jun 25, 2002

It is a general misconception that -z- or -s- is just the difference between British and American spelling. A very good book for answers to questions such as these is \"The Oxford Dictionary for Writers & Editors\" (ISBN 0-19-866239-4) and that tells us: localize not -ise.

HTH

Joeri

Wolfgang Feichtlbauer
Wolfgang Feichtlbauer  Identity Verified
Austria
English to German
+ ...
localize AND localise....... Jun 25, 2002

.....according to LEO and DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY ENGLISH (Langenscheidt)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization(sation): definition and spelling

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »