Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:57
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 18, 2005

Just found this on heise.de. I downloaded the software and registered. The offer is valid until August 22, 2005.

Nero AG, is distributing free licenses for there new TM software ACCROSS.

http://www.across.net/de/fdb_intro.aspx

I hope this is not considered advertising, I do not have any commercial relationship with the company. It is a possibility to get a free software license and I think it is a topic worth mentining here.

Regards
Siegfried

[Edited at 2005-08-18 06:44]
To register:
Click on the "WEITER" button near the bottom of the page and enter your freelancer details. They will send you a license key.

[Edited at 2005-08-18 13:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
How exactly? Aug 18, 2005

Hi Siegfried!

I've jsut visited the across webpage, and I've downloaded the demo version, but I found nothing about free licenses...

How did you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Natalia

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Registering for Across Aug 18, 2005

The free offer is for freelancers to get the "personal edition", which is also the "client edition" (linking up to a "server edition" which the agency/client would need to buy at a hefty price).

To get the freebie licence, you have to register as a freelancer who has the client edition, so that agencies can contact you for jobs. Ahead wants to earn its crust by selling the server edition to agencies, and one of the selling points will be to claim that there is a massive installed base of freelancers equipped with Across.
That is where you and I come in. We get the freebie edition by registering, and thereafter we become part of Ahead's advertising pitch.

The option to register comes up during the installation process (or failing that, when you run the program). At least it did for me (I installed from a CD which I received as a member of the German BDÜ), but it should work for the downloaded version, too.

Whether anyone will actually work with the program is another question. Most freelances will probably install and register for the same reason as me - curiosity. And like me, most probably already work with a CAT program and will be slow to learn another one (and will take a lot of convincing that it is actually useful).

nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 18, 2005

Thanks a lot, Victor!

Jan Vano  Identity Verified
German to Czech
+ ...
thank you anyway Aug 18, 2005

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

The free offer is for freelancers to get the "personal edition", which is also the "client edition" (linking up to a "server edition" which the agency/client would need to buy at a hefty price).

To get the freebie licence, you have to register as a freelancer who has the client edition, so that agencies can contact you for jobs. Ahead wants to earn its crust by selling the server edition to agencies, and one of the selling points will be to claim that there is a massive installed base of freelancers equipped with Across.
That is where you and I come in. We get the freebie edition by registering, and thereafter we become part of Ahead's advertising pitch.

The option to register comes up during the installation process (or failing that, when you run the program). At least it did for me (I installed from a CD which I received as a member of the German BDÜ), but it should work for the downloaded version, too.

Whether anyone will actually work with the program is another question. Most freelances will probably install and register for the same reason as me - curiosity. And like me, most probably already work with a CAT program and will be slow to learn another one (and will take a lot of convincing that it is actually useful).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Licence for Translation Software available

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs