Resource: Monolingual Spanish Dictionary (Any Ideas?)
Thread poster: Michael Martin

Michael Martin
United States
Local time: 08:56
Spanish to English
Aug 29, 2005

Any suggestions on a good monolingual Spanish dictionary? Thanks . . .

Direct link Reply with quote

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
DREA Aug 29, 2005

http://buscon.rae.es/diccionario/drae.htm
If you supplement it with glossaries of country-specific vocabulary, then you have everything

Orestes Robledo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
El Pequeño Larousse Ilustrado Aug 29, 2005

Despite recent efforts to welcome terms and uses from Latin America, the DRAE (Diccionario de la Real Academia Española) is still overwhelmingly biased toward European Spanish.

If you want a diccionary with substantial coverage of Latin American Spanish, try "El Pequeño Larousse Ilustrado". They issue a new version every year. I have the one for 2004 and there is one for 2005 on sale now.

Another good one is the "Diccionario de uso del español actual CLAVE". It comes with a CD-ROM version that you can install in your hard drive.

Maria Moliner's "Diccionario de uso del español" is revered among translators for its clarity and usefulness. It is big (two volumes) and expensive, but worth every penny (and pound).

Ernesto de Lara  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
The dictionary Aug 29, 2005

The only and official spanish dictionary is the one mentioned by GoodWorks. The rest are only copies.

Orestes Robledo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Totally wrong! Aug 29, 2005

Ernesto, there is no such thing as "the only and official Spanish dictionary", just like there is no such thing as the only official French dictionary, even though the French have their own language academy.

If you had bothered to check the three dictionaries I suggested you would know that they are quite different.

If those other dictionaries were copies as you claim, the DRAE would have long ago filed lawsuits against them for plagiarism, but they haven't!

What is your argument for making such a statement?

You, of all people, coming from Mexico, should know better.

Can you honestly say that the DRAE has full coverage of Mexican Spanish?

Would you refrain from using a specific Spanish word in a translation for Mexico just because it is not recorded by the DRAE?

Beatriz Benítez
Spain
Local time: 14:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Aug 30, 2005

Hello!

I used to trust DRAE, but the day I first met the "María Moliner. Diccionario de Uso del Español" I fell in love with it. Even though the DRAE is the official one, sometimes I feel it is uncomplete (v.g. in Spain we say "ordenador" (computer, PC) but in most of Latin American countries it is used "computador" or "computadora", and the DRAE does not clarify that that is the common use in LA...)

Now I don't have de María Moliner in my desk to compare because I left it in Spain but, if someone has it, maybe you could compare some words and take a better decision "María Moliner" is not a cheap dictonary, but it has got a cd-rom version with a tidy presentation.

Good luck!

Beatriz

Michael Martin
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Aug 30, 2005

GoodWords wrote:

http://buscon.rae.es/diccionario/drae.htm
If you supplement it with glossaries of country-specific vocabulary, then you have everything

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I use them both, María Moliner and RAE Aug 30, 2005

As my MM is in paper version and it has a very original classification (if you want to look for "patatús" or "patilla" you'll have to go to see under "pata"), I always look in the RAE dictionary first. Sometimes the definitions look identical, sometimes completely different.

The cheapest solutionis the RAE online: Free!

Claudia

Marisa Schiavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
María Moliner Aug 30, 2005

My favourite is the dictionary of María Moliner, it also comes with a CD so you can can have it open at all times whilst doing your translations. I love it!

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:56
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mine too Aug 30, 2005

Marisa Schiavi wrote:

My favourite is the dictionary of María Moliner, it also comes with a CD so you can can have it open at all times whilst doing your translations. I love it!

I always work with María Moliner and the DRAE.

Another one I use a lot is Diccionario de los usos correctos del español, by Alicia Zorrilla.

Cheers,
Andrea

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another Mexican Dictionary Aug 30, 2005

As Orestes points out, the DREA doesn't help with some specifically Mexican vocabulary. Here is another on-line Mexican dictionary: the Diccionario breve de mexicanismos published by the Academia Mexicana de la Lengua.

word-awareness
United States
Local time: 06:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you're looking for a "hard-copy"... Aug 30, 2005

... it would be a good idea to invest in Oxford Spanish. I forked out about $50 for mine at Barnes & Noble and cannot complain.

Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:56
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Online Aug 31, 2005

I like these two:

http://www.rae.es/

http://www.elmundo.es/diccionarios/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: Monolingual Spanish Dictionary (Any Ideas?)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs