Dictionnaire des vins, bières et spiritueux du monde
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:40
French to English
Sep 6, 2005

I hope this won't be considered as advertising, but I've just come across a new bilingual French-English dictionary/glossary which is a real boon for anyone translating in this field.

The book is published by Langues Pour Tous - Business Management Series and costs 20 €

Best

Barnaby

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:40
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks Barnaby Sep 6, 2005

The title makes it sound like a list of names but you say dictionary and glossary, can you give more details, please?

Claudia

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
More information Sep 6, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

The title makes it sound like a list of names but you say dictionary and glossary, can you give more details, please?

Claudia

Claudia
It is in fact a bit of both + a mini-encyclopedia.
An entry taken at random from the French section:
Clou de girofle nm clove
Arôme épicé, assez fort, qui peut se révéler à la dégustation de certains vins rouges du sud de la vallée du Rhône, du Roussillon ou d'Espagne.

And here's a rather different entry from the English section:
Climate climat nm
One of the key factors which determine whether a region is suitable for quality wineproduction.

526 pages

This is what the publisher says:

"6000 definitions, both in French and English, in the fields of: oenology, viticulture, cooperage, brewing, tasting, geology, marketing, etc."

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:40
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thank you Sep 6, 2005

Thanks, it does look interesting.

I'll start my list for my next travel to Europe, ready to come back with too much load of books. I should put the heavy items in Santa's list.

Claudia

Josephine79
Josephine79
French to English
Thanks Sep 26, 2005

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

I hope this won't be considered as advertising, but I've just come across a new bilingual French-English dictionary/glossary which is a real boon for anyone translating in this field.

The book is published by Langues Pour Tous - Business Management Series and costs 20 €

Best

Barnaby

Brilliant, this is exactly what I need: I'm ordering it tonight! Not a field I've ever worked in but I've been offered a job and I guess even experts had to start somewhere.
Thanks Barnaby

Y champion
Y champion
English to French
+ ...
Let's test it! Sep 26, 2005

Sounds interesting...
But is it only a bilingual encyclopaedia or are the terms translated?
I've done a terminological study about beer and I'd like very much to confront some of my definitions with those given in this dictionary.
If it's not asking you too much, could you please tell me what it says about "ale" and how do they translate it in French?

Just to see before possibly buying it.

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Belated reply Oct 5, 2005

Y champion wrote:

Sounds interesting...
But is it only a bilingual encyclopaedia or are the terms translated?
I've done a terminological study about beer and I'd like very much to confront some of my definitions with those given in this dictionary.
If it's not asking you too much, could you please tell me what it says about "ale" and how do they translate it in French?

Just to see before possibly buying it.

Sorry for this late reply - I've been beyond the reach of the Internet for the last three weeks!
Here is the entry for "ale":
Translation: bière, ale nf
"Generic word for any type of beer brewed using the method of TOP FERMENTATION".

Another entry translates and explains "top fermentation"

Hope this helps
Best
Barnaby

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionnaire des vins, bières et spiritueux du monde

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »