Thread poster: GlobalComm
GlobalComm
United States
Local time: 00:02
Member (2003)
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2005

I am looking for a very large Italian to English dictionary, intended for a professional translator, on a CD. Something like French-English Termium, which has 3 million entries, and much larger than the 2,300 page Harper Collins Sansoni I have in form of a book. Does anything like this exist and if so, where can I buy it? I would appreciate your recommendations
John Romanski
adverbum@vdn.ca

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Picchi (Hoepli) Sep 20, 2005

Currently the most complete Italian-English-Italian general dictionary on CD available is Fernando Picchi's, published by Hoepli:

http://www.hoepli.it/item.asp?ty=&id=70502&pc=000007001002020

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Online Sep 20, 2005

You can try Picchi online:

http://www.edigeo-online.it/cgi-local/Hoepli/GDI

The EN-IT part is excellent. I have never heard of anything comparable to Termium though.

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Hoepli (the bookshop) recommended Garzanti! Sep 20, 2005

The reason was that I wanted a dictionary to install rather than having to insert and consult the CD. One year ago, they told me in via Hoepli that Garzanti was the only one. I'm always on the look out for a better one, though.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
There are programs that permit you to do that Sep 20, 2005

Richard Hall wrote:

The reason was that I wanted a dictionary to install rather than having to insert and consult the CD.

You'll need to search in past threads, but sugThere are programs (I think one of them is called Virtual CD - I'm not sure because I don't use them myself) that permit to install CD's that are not designed to be installed.

If search on past threads, you should be able to find something: I recall several discussions and suggestions about such programs.

If you want to compare Picchi's to Garzanti, Garzanti's dictionary can be used online, too:

http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a Italian-English dictionary on a CD

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs