Kenneth Katzner's English-Russian Dictionary (new version?)
Thread poster: Kirstin B.
Kirstin B.
Kirstin B.
United States
Local time: 15:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2005

Katzner's dictionary (English-Russian, Russian English) -- the red paperback version -- was last copywrited in 1994. Any news on if he's planning to update it and publish a revised version anytime soon?

Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-30 13:48]

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
Russian to English
+ ...
CD Available Sep 30, 2005

Kirstin B. wrote:

Katzner's dictionary (English-Russian, Russian English) -- the red paperback version -- was last copywrited in 1994. Any news on if he's planning to update it and publish a revised version anytime soon?

Thanks.

He put on a CD version several years ago. You might want to check Amazon.com. I didn't like it that much as you had to use the CD to search the dictionary.

Won't be any updates coming from Mr. Katzner. He passed away within the last couple of years.

Gruzovik1947

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:17
German to English
+ ...
Mueller Sep 30, 2005

I don't know how well known the V.K. Mueller English to Russian electronic dictionary is to others on these forums, but since I couldn't find it in a forum search I thought I'd mention it.

It is said to have 53000 entries and is available in several versions.

An html version, possibly the easiest to install on Windows, is
... See more
I don't know how well known the V.K. Mueller English to Russian electronic dictionary is to others on these forums, but since I couldn't find it in a forum search I thought I'd mention it.

It is said to have 53000 entries and is available in several versions.

An html version, possibly the easiest to install on Windows, is at:

http://www.topshareware.com/English-Russian-Dictionary-download-8106.htm
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:17
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
How About Russian-English Dictionary? Sep 30, 2005

Could anybody tell me if there is a good Russsian to English dictionary out there. I am using Smirnitizky from my college day and I graduated in 1982. It has fifty thousand words. Do you have any recommendations?

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:17
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Oct 1, 2005

To the translator who mentioned the online Russian - English site, and whose notice does appear any more, thank you for the information. It has many words my antique dictionary didn't have.

Have a nice weekend.

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Katzner Oct 1, 2005

Kirstin B. wrote:

Thanks.

You might want to try here: http://www.concentric.net/~Rmcnelly/

E2efour (X)
E2efour (X)
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
Russian-English dictionaries Oct 2, 2005

Stephen Rifkind wrote:

Could anybody tell me if there is a good Russsian to English dictionary out there.

I enquired about Russian English dictionaries on the Russian language forum in August and found the Multitran recommendation rather promising (http://www.proz.com/topic/35554). No-one seems to have seen the Russian-English dictionary I asked about.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:17
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
- Oct 2, 2005

ABBYY Lingvo and Multilex are very good electronic dictionaries - have you ever heard about them? They are En < -- >Ru, i.e. you may use them in both directions.

[Edited at 2005-10-02 14:33]

E2efour (X)
E2efour (X)
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
Preferred online dictionary Oct 2, 2005

Natalie wrote:

ABBYY Lingvo and Multilex are very good electronic dictionaries - have you ever heard about them?

Thank you for reminding me, Natalie. I've just tried to compare them now online and of the three, I found Multilex gave very little information.
Abbyy Lingvo gave some phrases but nothing like as comprehensive as Multitran.

Do you have any preference of the three? I'm too lazy to research this topic so I would be grateful for your opinion.

rmcnelly
rmcnelly
English
Current Status of Katzner Dictionary Feb 10, 2006

Kirstin B. wrote:

Thanks.

FAQ About the CD Version of the Katzner Dictionary
----------------------------------------------
Is the CD version of this dictionary the same as the printed version (i.e. the same entries)?

The 2nd printed edition of the Katzner dictionary appeared in 1994. The CD contains all that material plus as much as 20% additional material. According to Mr. Katzner, the Engliish-Russian component of the printed 2nd edition contains 26,000 words while the Russian-English part contains 40,000.When Mr. Katzner supplied the material to be included on the CD, he
provided all the material that he created between 1994 and 1999. Many entries in the 2nd edition have been modernized and improved. Thousands of new entries appear on the CD that he had gathered in preparation for a future (as yet unscheduled) third printed edition.

The CD version is not simply a computerized book, but provides the capability to look up entries in either Russian or English by typing enough of a word to make it unique or to get within a few words of the desired word. For example, if you type: estab then you will get to establish and if you type discu then you will come to discus. If you do not come to the exact word, you can then navigate down the page using the "down arrow" toolbar button to come to discuss then discussion then disdain.
Similarly, in Russian you can type a portion of the word you are looking up.

I collaborated with Mr. Katzner to produce the Katzner dictionary CD and continue to support it today.

Sadly, Kenneth Katzner passed away in 2003. He left many enhanced and updated dictionary entries that we hope will be added to the dictionary in the future.

mklman55
mklman55
English to Russian
WHen can we expect the 3rd printed edition of the Katzner Dictionary? Sep 8, 2007

When can we expect the 3rd printed edition of the Katzner Russian dictionary?

rmcnelly wrote:

Kirstin B. wrote:

Thanks.

FAQ About the CD Version of the Katzner Dictionary
----------------------------------------------
Is the CD version of this dictionary the same as the printed version (i.e. the same entries)?

The 2nd printed edition of the Katzner dictionary appeared in 1994. The CD contains all that material plus as much as 20% additional material. According to Mr. Katzner, the Engliish-Russian component of the printed 2nd edition contains 26,000 words while the Russian-English part contains 40,000.When Mr. Katzner supplied the material to be included on the CD, he
provided all the material that he created between 1994 and 1999. Many entries in the 2nd edition have been modernized and improved. Thousands of new entries appear on the CD that he had gathered in preparation for a future (as yet unscheduled) third printed edition.

The CD version is not simply a computerized book, but provides the capability to look up entries in either Russian or English by typing enough of a word to make it unique or to get within a few words of the desired word. For example, if you type: estab then you will get to establish and if you type discu then you will come to discus. If you do not come to the exact word, you can then navigate down the page using the "down arrow" toolbar button to come to discuss then discussion then disdain.
Similarly, in Russian you can type a portion of the word you are looking up.

I collaborated with Mr. Katzner to produce the Katzner dictionary CD and continue to support it today.

Sadly, Kenneth Katzner passed away in 2003. He left many enhanced and updated dictionary entries that we hope will be added to the dictionary in the future.

When can we expect the 3rd printed edition of the Katzner Russian dictionary?

Price&Surkova
Price&Surkova
United States
Local time: 16:17
Russian to English
Multitran is the only dictionary worth using Apr 5, 2008

Multitran is the dictionary of choice amongst most professionals I know in St. Petersburg. As it is constantly being updated every day by the likes of Sakhalin Energy and other major concerns, as well as an army of freelancers, it is second to none in terms of usefullness, the wide array of possible pairings, and the host of browsable contexts. In some sense there is so much information sometimes one could call it surfeit, but such a myriad of options is exactly what one needs when attempting ... See more
Multitran is the dictionary of choice amongst most professionals I know in St. Petersburg. As it is constantly being updated every day by the likes of Sakhalin Energy and other major concerns, as well as an army of freelancers, it is second to none in terms of usefullness, the wide array of possible pairings, and the host of browsable contexts. In some sense there is so much information sometimes one could call it surfeit, but such a myriad of options is exactly what one needs when attempting to produce quality. If you like to have a dictionary with you while on the plane or where there's no access, I understand, but where there's internet, just tap it in and enjoy the ride. One caveat: it's not for the beginner, as you generally need to be at least somewhat comfortable with Russian grammar and the labels of the categories in Russian to know where to begin once the results come back. But all can create a login and add their own translations if unsatisified with what you see.

M
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kenneth Katzner's English-Russian Dictionary (new version?)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »