Require Japanese fonts
Thread poster: krishna mallick

krishna mallick
India
Local time: 03:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2002

I will be buying a computer shortly. For that I require your suggestions regarding Japanese language.

1. If I have to go for a Japanese Operating System, do I have to buy one. OR If I have Windows 2000 professional or XP (English operating system, ie a normal one), can I find Japanese fonts in that by searching. If so, please give me the path. OR is XP downloadable? please give the site name.

2. Is Acrobat Reader 5.0 Japanese Version downloadable. If so, is it a permanent one or only for testing. Is it payable or not?

3. What are the other Japanese support softwares, etc required to equip my system fully so that I can immediately start working with that?

4. What is Global IME?

5. What are the translation tools that I can procure? What is that I have to buy and what is that I can download?

Your valuable suggestions will help me greatly.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ad Timmering  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:17
Japanese to Dutch
+ ...
Re: Require Japanese fonts Jul 6, 2002

Aikokujin,

I think I will be able to answer at least a few of your questions.

Windows 2000 has been developed with functionality for all language sets. There is no need to buy or install additional software in order to process Japanese language, even if the operating system itself is English. After you have installed Windows 2000, follow these steps:

1. Go to Configuration -> Control Panel -> Regional Options

2. On the lower part of this window, you will find a panel called \"Language Settings for the System\". In this panel enable Japanese. You might have to reboot your system after this. Once this is done, your system will contain Japanese fonts and the Input Method Editor (a piece of software that enables you to type and convert (henkan) to Japanese). You will still need to add the language to the keyboard settings though (see point 4).

3. In the same Regional Options window, click the lower left button called \"Set Default\". The window that now appears allows you to select the system locale, i.e. the default \'internal\' language of the operating system. Select Japanese and reboot your system.

4. Go to Configuration -> Control Panel -> Keyboard Settings.

As my OS is Japanese I don\'t know the English equivalents here, but select \'Add Keyboard\' (or the equivalent thereof) and add Japanese. Then select this as your standard language.

This might sound more complicated than it actually is and I think I have written clearer explanations in my life, but this should help you get things moving. By also changing the \'default\' language, your Windows 2000 has factually become a Japanese OS - with the difference that the menus and all are still in English. You will however be able to use Japanese versions of all software: Japanese dictionaries (Get a hold of Koujien/Kenkyusha, Shinmeikai etc), but also Acrobat Reader etc.

The Japanese version of Acrobat Reader 5.0 is indeed downloadable is permanently usable. Check the terms on the Acrobat site.

Download at: http://www.adobe.co.jp/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Global IME (Input Method Editor), for your information, is the name of an IME developed to allow users of non-Asian OS\'s to input Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Global IME is only necessary in Windows 95/98/NT (ME?) systems. There are new Global IMEs to be used on Windows XP & Office XP. If you seriously want to work with one of these languages and also use software in them, I advice you use Windows 2000 where you do not need to download or install the Global IME. (i.e. go with the procedure described above).

Someone else might be able to help you out on the translation tools.

If you have any further questions or something is not clear in my explanation, please email me.

Regards,

Ad

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-06 13:38 ]

Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:17
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Great information Jul 9, 2002

Thanks Ad! it\'s a great information.

krishna mallick
India
Local time: 03:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou very much Jul 10, 2002

Ad,

The manner you explained this is very impressive. It not only helps me but all those who want the information on installing Japanese fonts. Truly a helpul information.

thankyou very much,

aikokujin
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Require Japanese fonts

Advanced search

Translation news

TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs