Trados or Deja Vu?
Thread poster: Carolina B (X)
Carolina B (X)
Carolina B (X)
Local time: 10:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 10, 2002

I would like to know which you think is best to have: Trados or Deja Vu? Why?

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Deja Vu! Jul 10, 2002

I have both, have been using Trados since 1998, DV since 2001. DV rules! A whole lot of features that Trados doesn\'t have. And the best feature yet is that you can own only DV but still deliver a Trados TM!

MM

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:01
French to English
Try the demos for both Jul 11, 2002

You really should try the demos for yourself to determine which product best meets your needs and which you are more comfortable with. I have both and use DejaVu almost exclusively mostly because of its assemble feature (meaning that your material does not need to contain repetitive sentences to benefit from DV\'s advantages), ease in adding terminology (mostly phrases) to the terminology database, its ability to handles hundreds of files in a single project (very important if you translate Web ... See more
You really should try the demos for yourself to determine which product best meets your needs and which you are more comfortable with. I have both and use DejaVu almost exclusively mostly because of its assemble feature (meaning that your material does not need to contain repetitive sentences to benefit from DV\'s advantages), ease in adding terminology (mostly phrases) to the terminology database, its ability to handles hundreds of files in a single project (very important if you translate Web sites) and my preference for working in the same environment for all translation projects.

DejaVu support is absolutely unequalled -- never received any real support from Trados (other than a suggestion to search the knowledge base).

Trados does have MultiTerm iX now, which lets you add terminology on the fly, though still not as easy as with DejaVu, but it is severely limited. It can only import material from XML databases and the procedure is very tricky. I did manage to convert a term base from MultiTerm to XML format and import the database once, but I have since tried with another database and could not get it to work. Trados released beginner\'s guides for both Trados 5.5 and MultiTerm iX today, but I have not had a chance to work through the procedures yet.

DejaVu lets you import from and export to all types of formats.

It took me some time to get used to the DV interface after working with Trados, but I much prefer it now, especially since I no longer have to deal with problems created by Word. Trados did cause several serious problems for me, one that very nearly cost me a very good client.

This is my opinion, based on having used both products, but again, you should try them for yourself.

FWIW,

Karin Adamczyk

P.S. DejaVu can handle files segmented with Trados. Trados cannot handle DejaVu projects.
Collapse

Ingar A. Milnes
Ingar A. Milnes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
English to Norwegian
+ ...
For first experience with TM, try "Wordfast" Jul 11, 2002

I found this free tool under www.champollion.net. I have so far also been reluctant to purchase TM, but after some days of fiddling with this free fing, I find it great. The question is: is it worth spending money on the \"Big Names\" when this option exists?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or Deja Vu?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »