https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/38649-need_recommendations_for_czech_english_dictionary.html

Need recommendations for Czech-English dictionary
Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:59
Spanish to English
Nov 4, 2005

Hi there,

I need to buy a Czech-English dictionary for Czech students to use in England when they are here on social work placements. I also need to buy one quite quickly.

If anyone could recommend a good dictionary, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks very much,

Nikki

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:59
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Please specify Nov 4, 2005

Hi,
do you need an electronic version or printed one? And second question - how detailed and elaborated should it be? 5 volumes (for the whole class to use) or just 1 concise volume for each student?

Nevertheless
- electronic - Lingea Lexicon 2002 (over 200.000 words with 500.000 translations, synonyms, phrases, grammar, pronunciation ...), supplied together with a monolingual English dictionary, price: CZK 2340 (about
... See more
Hi,
do you need an electronic version or printed one? And second question - how detailed and elaborated should it be? 5 volumes (for the whole class to use) or just 1 concise volume for each student?

Nevertheless
- electronic - Lingea Lexicon 2002 (over 200.000 words with 500.000 translations, synonyms, phrases, grammar, pronunciation ...), supplied together with a monolingual English dictionary, price: CZK 2340 (about 78 Euro):
http://www.lingea.cz/cz/en2.htm

- printed (single volume) - Fraus publishing house: Illustrated Study Dictionary CZ-EN,EN-CZ, price about CZK 500 (17 Euro):
http://www.fraus.cz/hlavni_menu.htm
This is a modern dictionary, just released (I've been working on it from the point of lexicography so I really know much of it by heart and I can only recommend it.)

Go to their web-pages, there are samples from the dictionary and many other information.

Good luck and my regards to your students!
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:59
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, questions answered Nov 4, 2005

Hi, these are not my students and they are not taught in a class here, so they need the dictionary for their own personal use. Something they could carry around with them would be ideal, so printed, not electronic, and the idea is to get one they can share (there are only 2 or 3 students here at a time usually, and they go on placements together and share the same accommodation).

Thanks very much for the info.

Nikki

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need recommendations for Czech-English dictionary

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »