Mobile menu

French Unabridged Dictionaries
Thread poster: Daniel,Levine
English to French
Dec 11, 2005

My brother is currently studying french translation, and for Hannukah this year, I wished to buy for him an unabridged french dictionary as he currently carries around 2 smaller dictionaries for their difference in overlap. As I plan for this to be his main dictionary for several years I was trying to find a good one. He says he wants a French-French dictionary. And I considered le Nouveau Petit Robert et Larousse grand format, but I realized that bilingual dictionaries provide a sort of thesaurus function as well.

The question:
For French Bilingual Unabridged Dictionaries in Paper form, what dictionary would be the best for a Translator?

I realize this is no doubt argued between several but any information would be appreciated. And if you happen to know a French-French dictionary that is good for translators that would be helpful as well.

Thank You in Advance,
Daniel Levine

Direct link Reply with quote

nordiste  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Petit Robert( French) + Petit Robert Noms propres Dec 11, 2005

Nice idea for a present.
I use Petit Robert (French) and Petit Robert 2 (for history , names, philosophy etc...) They are very good.
Of course there are some bigger ones too but maybe not so useful unless you want to do very specialized academic works.

For bilingual French-English I use the Robert & Collins. Very handy and useful. Maybe more UK oriented on the English side, which is good for me.

For French only, Larousse is quite good too. In fact Robert and Larousse are the most commmon dictionnaries you will find in almost any French homes.

Happy shopping !

United States
Local time: 03:00
French to English
Not sure there is a "best", it's a matter of opinion/preference Dec 11, 2005

First of all, I see you are new so welcome.:)

I, personally, prefer the Larousse, but I also believe that it's personal preference, which dictionary to use.

I would also recommend the Harper Collins Robert (HC111 on this link):

Harrap's is also pretty good, too:

I hope the above information helps, but don't just go by me, you probably want to wait until you get some other suggestions.:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French Unabridged Dictionaries

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs