Mobile menu

How can I open .csv files (microsoft glossaries)
Thread poster: Sue Crocker

Sue Crocker  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:14
French to English
Jul 19, 2002

I recently downloaded the microsoft glossary but am unable to open the files (.csv files). Does anyone know which program can open these ???

Direct link Reply with quote

Pee Eff
Germany
Local time: 14:44
English to German
+ ...
Microsoft Excel Jul 19, 2002

Hi!

You can open files with the extension .csv in Microsoft Excel (or any spreadsheet program should also do...). CSV means \"comma separated values\"

Just open Excel and open the file in the location you saved it at.

This should be all.

Best regards

Patrick

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:44
SITE FOUNDER
csv = comma-separated values Jul 19, 2002

A csv file is raw, text data, with commas. Any text editor can open them (you may need to change the file name to .txt). Also, Excel, and other spreadsheets can open them.

bharg  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:14
French to English
+ ...
Excel Jul 19, 2002

Try using MS-Excel - it opens csv files. I opened the glossaries in Excel and it works well.!

Elzbieta
Netherlands
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
Examine Jul 19, 2002

You *can* open the CSV files in Excel, but for such hudge files as the MS glossaries I prefer a small and easy program called Examine (shareware, can be downloaded from http://www.examine32.com/). This program allows you to search in multiple csv files, you don\'t need to open the files one by one in order to search for just one expression. It\'s very useful when you are not sure in which file to look. Examine is very easy to learn, not expensive, I can recommend it.

Elzbieta

allys  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
For Microsoft Excel Jul 19, 2002

Hi Sue,

I create such glossaries for my native language and main problem is that it’s impossible to open it in the usual way in Excel: File - Open - File Type etc.

You should do the following:

1. Create a new Excel sheet: File – New.

2. Import data from CSV: Data – Import External Data

Then do what you are asked. Everything works fine. The names of the menus may differ as I use localized version of Excel.

Regards,

Alexander

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:44
English to German
+ ...
Open in MS Word Jul 19, 2002

.csv files can also be opened in Microsoft Word just as you would a normal Word file. Personally, I find it much easier to work with the MS glossaries in Word (rather than Excel) if it\'s only one or two specific glossaries that I need.

To search all the MS Word glossaries for a specific term, I found Mike Funduc\'s Search and Replace a true godsend. A demo version is available as shareware, but, IMHO, the $25 pricetag for the registered version is a real bargain. Check it out under:

http://www.funduc.com

http://www.searchandreplace.com

For the MS glossaries, you simply set the file mask to *.csv, the directory path to the directory containing your MS glossaries, specify the search term, and off you go. It\'s extremely fast, and the results list the specific file and the complete line in which the term was found, with the search term highlighted.

Sue Crocker  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:14
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
merci Jul 20, 2002

Merci à tous et à toutes - vos réponses m\'ont bien aidé.

Sue

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I open .csv files (microsoft glossaries)

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs