Mobile menu

Wikipedia vs Britannica
Thread poster: A Hayes
A Hayes
Local time: 05:51
Dec 18, 2005

December 16, 2005

PARIS: The free internet encyclopedia Wikipedia, recently the victim of a hoax entry, is almost as accurate as the venerable Encyclopedia Britannica when it comes to questions of science.

The Australian,5744,17581167%5E29677,00.html

Direct link Reply with quote
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 19:51
German to English
+ ...
In other words... Dec 18, 2005

Both are equally unreliable!

Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Surprising! Dec 19, 2005

Interesting research by Nature (quite reliable, I think).
Thanks for the link!

Timothy Barton
Local time: 21:51
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
For science... Dec 19, 2005

I do a lot of science translations based on research carried out at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. I have found the Wikipedia to be very reliable and useful for this kind of text. In general, complex science entries can only be written by people who know what they're talking about. I think too many people are too harsh on the Wikipedia. While it is true that not all the information is reliable, you can usually detect what information is reliable and which isn't, and in any case, you can always use the Wikipedia as a starting point then search for information elsewhere.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wikipedia vs Britannica

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs