Thread poster: Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation

Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2001

I would like to know how to quote for a translation of a video. For example:

A video from English to Spanish (appx. 15:30 min. video) and re-voiced in Spanish.

What does it mean re-voiced in this case... on a video or simply on a tape?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 17:23
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
"Re-voicing"/Synchronizing? Oct 22, 2001

I believe you should get both, video & tape, if you see the person speaking in the video or if it is a movie or similar. First you will have to translate the text and then to adapt your choices according to the movements of the lips in the original track. I did it only once: after having translated the whole text, the worst job was to find a half-correct word causing similar movements of the lips and being of equal length in the target language as in the original... that was hell! I agreed to charge a fee per translated line (standard here in Austria, fees per translated word only for \"Trados jobs\") and an extra-fee per \"re-voicing\"(synchronizing) hour.

Have a nice day,

Giuliana

[addsig]

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:23
German to English
+ ...
Various possibilities Oct 22, 2001

I ahve been doing translation of movie and video texts as well as voiceovers (we call it here narration) for the last 20 years with more than 500 videos narrated myself.

Giuliana is right, such work can be quite tricky and time consuming. So first get a clear picture what the job actually requires:

1. Is the original text available, or have you listen to the tape and translate from there? Do they want to have the original text typed up? - I charge extra for this, because it is really time consuming. Usually we charge per 1000 bytes text file, but you can charge by word, line or page as well. This is a question of negotiation.

2. Is it a synchronized voiceover, or is it a separate narrtion (you cannot see the speaker and the narration is like a comment). The first is much more demanding.

I charge either per page (word, line) or by video minute.

All in all this is subject to negoatiation, but my good advice is - get a clear picture what the job contains! Could be a bad surprise!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation of videos - how to quote?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs