Links for online English>English dictionaries.
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 01:43
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 4, 2006

Dictionaries play a vital role while translating because if a person is not sure about the meaning of a word, he can simply consult a dictionary to learn about its exact meaning. While consulting the printed dictionaries consumes a great deal of time and involves labour, one may easily know the meaning in a few seconds if he has got electronic dictionaries.

I have downloaded WordWeb which is a very useful dictionary. But I am still looking for some other downloadable English>Englis
... See more
Dictionaries play a vital role while translating because if a person is not sure about the meaning of a word, he can simply consult a dictionary to learn about its exact meaning. While consulting the printed dictionaries consumes a great deal of time and involves labour, one may easily know the meaning in a few seconds if he has got electronic dictionaries.

I have downloaded WordWeb which is a very useful dictionary. But I am still looking for some other downloadable English>English dictionaries. I am particularly searching for a dictionary in which related words automatically appear in alphabetical order as we type a word. I have searched on the internet but could not find the requisite dictionaries.

Could you suggest the links for some good downloadable EN>EN dictionaries?

Thanks in anticipation.
Collapse

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Local time: 16:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
English dictionaries Jan 4, 2006

langclinic wrote:

Not strictly 'downloadable', but I find the following link useful. Gives about 6.3 million words in almost 1,00 dictionaries, inluding some of the best ones online.

Try: http://www.onelook.com/?w=&ls=a

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 13:13
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's not downloadable, but you get a nice bar for your browser Jan 4, 2006

langclinic wrote:

Thanks in anticipation.

I like Merriam-Webster. It's not downloadable, but if you want to avoid having an extra window or tab open, you can always install their toolbar and search for terms whenever you want. It's pretty fast and accurate and I use it regularly.

There's also the Webster's Online Dictionary. It's multilingual and I worked on their Portuguese section, but you can work on Eng-Eng only. You don't get a bar (maybe they're thinking about creating one), but they also have interesting contents and almost work as an encyclopedia, so their references are very helpful. This project has been put together by the Icon Group International and they have published many paper dictionaries and language-related materials. It wouldn't surprise me if they came up with a downloadable version any time soon.

Good luck and have fun!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Links for online English>English dictionaries.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »