what are Trados, CAT tools, etc
Thread poster: salman
salman
salman
Local time: 22:03
English to Japanese
Jul 24, 2002

I have been seeing words such as Trados, CAT tools since some time but it is not clear as to what they are. Somebody pls enlighten me.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:33
English to Czech
Wordfast Manual Jul 24, 2002

Hello,

you can download a free manual to a CAT tool called Wordfast. The manual is available in several languages and it will explain all the basic things you need to know. Also, you will be able to try Wodfast (it\'s free) and see what a great CAT tool really is.

The link you need is www.champollion.net

Enjoy!

David

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:33
SITE FOUNDER
Click on Jul 24, 2002

CAT (computer-aided-translation) tools such as TRADOS, MetaTexis, etc., are software programs that help you to translate faster and more consistently. How? As you translate, they \"remember\" the source and target sentences, storing them in a \"translation memory\" (TM). When you come to a sentence that is the same or similar to a sentence you have already translated, they load your previous translation(s) for you.

The verdict is in, and almost everyone agrees that CAT tools
... See more
CAT (computer-aided-translation) tools such as TRADOS, MetaTexis, etc., are software programs that help you to translate faster and more consistently. How? As you translate, they \"remember\" the source and target sentences, storing them in a \"translation memory\" (TM). When you come to a sentence that is the same or similar to a sentence you have already translated, they load your previous translation(s) for you.

The verdict is in, and almost everyone agrees that CAT tools work, saving 20-50% or more in translation time. What\'s more, the tools are constantly improving. Click on \"CAT tool center\" in the main menu for links and reviews.
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:33
German to Romanian
+ ...
try Wordfast for the beginning Jul 24, 2002

I was in the same situation and I think the best way to see what they are is to use them.

There is one for free (Wordfast), and only after trying out this tool it became clear to me what CAT tools are.

Unfortunately I don;\'t know the link anymore, but if you\'re interested, I can mail it to you (it\'s quite small).

You can use this to see what CAT tools are all about and then judge for yourself if you want to use another tool.

CAT tools are recommended on
... See more
I was in the same situation and I think the best way to see what they are is to use them.

There is one for free (Wordfast), and only after trying out this tool it became clear to me what CAT tools are.

Unfortunately I don;\'t know the link anymore, but if you\'re interested, I can mail it to you (it\'s quite small).

You can use this to see what CAT tools are all about and then judge for yourself if you want to use another tool.

CAT tools are recommended only for people who deal with a lot of repetitive texts, such as technical specifications, etc.
Collapse

salman
salman
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
please mail me Jul 25, 2002

Hi David, where did you find the link? I am not able to get it.

Elvira, request you to mail me. I will try it out.thank you.

thanks Henry for the support and info. I will surely try it out, and please let me know where is the Wordfast.

salman
salman
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
where is it Jul 25, 2002

when I click on CAT tool center, it takes me to a page wherein many links are there, overall, detailed, etc. when I click on each one it takes me to many more such links. But let me know what to do and where to start with as a beginner using it. And what is that I have to buy and tell me how to go about using these.

Edward L. Crosby III
Edward L. Crosby III  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:33
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast Aug 2, 2002

Salman,

> And what is that I have to buy and tell me how to go about using these. <

If you decide on Wordfast, there's nothing to buy; it's free of charge. It's also small (the program and manual can be downloaded as a ZIP archive which is only about 500 KB in size), and the program comes in the form of a Word template file (.DOT) which you normally place in your Word startup directory so that it automatically loads when you start Word.

... See more
Salman,

> And what is that I have to buy and tell me how to go about using these. <

If you decide on Wordfast, there's nothing to buy; it's free of charge. It's also small (the program and manual can be downloaded as a ZIP archive which is only about 500 KB in size), and the program comes in the form of a Word template file (.DOT) which you normally place in your Word startup directory so that it automatically loads when you start Word.

There is a Wordfast companion program available from the same author -- PlusTools -- which is even smaller, and allows you to create translation memory files from existing source and target texts, etc.

Elvira is right, though: CAT tools are only really useful if you have highly repetitive texts in which sentences or parts of sentences repeat many times, or if you are involved in updating publications such as user manuals, catalogs, etc., in which large portions of the previous texts are re-used in the updated versions.

Ed

[Edited at 2003-06-30 00:22]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 00:23]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what are Trados, CAT tools, etc

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »