Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is "How to earn $80,000+.." from translatorstips.com useful?
Thread poster: Joanna Drzewieniecki

Joanna Drzewieniecki  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:07
Spanish to English
Jan 14, 2006

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has purchased this book and whether it was useful?
Many thanks,
Joanna

Direct link Reply with quote

Anna Fitzgerald  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:07
French to English
I found it useful, but I don't make 80K a year! Jan 14, 2006

Hello,

It makes some interesting points about dealing with clients and getting started as a freelancer. Granted, I read it 3 years ago and knew little about translating at the time. I'd say it's useful for newcomers. You may already know most of what it offers. On the other hand, it has probably been updated, so it would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who read it more recently.

Anna

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, for me it was. Jan 14, 2006

I bought both the original book and the update. No regrets. As a beginning translator, wondering where to start, I found the information on marketing oneself and on professional demeanor very helpful.

Prior to finding this book, I had bought a conventional paper book on the same topic. I have seen the paper book praised in another forum, but I found this book more up-to-date, much better organized, and more focused on useful, relevant information. Reading it is no no guarantee that you'll earn $80,000+, but if you follow the advice, you'll have a good idea of how to run your translation business in a professional manner.

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Another thread Jan 14, 2006

Somebody has already asked about this book. Take a look here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29538

HTH

Joanna

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Useful Jan 14, 2006

An established professional translator will probably not find it very useful. I knew about translation but nothing about free-lancing. I just read it and applied it: a few years later I can say that it worked as it should.

If you want to have some fun and a more precise idea of what it is going to make of you in the next 1 to 50 years, you can just read http://www.proz.com/post/274990#274990 : it is a funny description made by the author itself and almost universally recognized as true.

Ciao,
Luca

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
Well worth the money Jan 15, 2006

Hi Joanna,

I started out about a year ago, and knew very little about the business. I know the book has a bad press with some of the more experienced translators (was talking about it yesterday funnily enough) which I can understand, but for someone with no practical experience of translating I think it's great - and very user-friendly.

I followed his advice and, although I'm not earning nearly as much as $80,000 (but I never believed I would!), my business is going really well and I feel confident about the future. I work full-time, and regularly have to refuse work... so, yes, I definitely think it's worth the money!

It also comes with a list of agencies, which I found useful. He also sells a longer list seperately, which may be useful to more experienced translators looking for new contacts.

Good luck!

Kate

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:07
Turkish to English
+ ...
I don't believe the claim. Jan 15, 2006

Well, I have never read the book, but the claim that you can earn USD 80,000 per year as a freelance translator in my opinion lacks any credibility. If anyone out there is earning that kind of money, I would really like to hear from them as to how they do it. If somebody is actually making this kind of income thanks to reading this book, please let me know and I will rush out and buy it. I am not holding my breath, though.

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:07
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Maybe I have better buy the book! Jan 16, 2006

It seems that there is something wrong with my rates! If I work 8 hours a day, translating an average of 2000 words per day, working for 365 days a year, getting paid 0.1 USD per word... I still won't reach 80,000 a year!

Maybe the list of translation agencies in this book consists of agencies that never pay less than USD 0.5 per word?

Dinny

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
I haven't read it but... Jan 16, 2006

In 2005, my third full year of freelance work, I billed 62,000 euros (around 75 K dollars) to my clients. Not quite 80K, but not far off. If my income continues to increase as it has over the past three years, I should get there in 2006. So I feel that it is possible! With all of the social security and other contributions we have to pay in France, it's a good thing, too In order to make a decent living after contributions and taxes, you simply have to bill that much. For info, I work between 210 and 220 days per year, never work weekends and work "normal" 8-hour days.

If the 80K target in the book refers to net profits, well, that's another story An interppreter billing 600 euros per day 200 days per year might get there, but it would be difficult for a translator to do so, IMO.

Regards,

Sara

[Edited at 2006-01-16 08:25]

Clackson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:07
English to German
+ ...
Useful for marketing to agencies Jan 16, 2006

Hello,

The book explains how to set up and market to agencies. I did find it encouraging and helpful. However, I am waiting for somebody to write a similar book on how to market to direct customers and what to expect.

Ute

Joanna Drzewieniecki, Ph.D./ Irene Abugattas wrote:

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has purchased this book and whether it was useful?
Many thanks,
Joanna

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
Great idea! Jan 16, 2006

"However, I am waiting for somebody to write a similar book on how to market to direct customers and what to expect"

Great idea, Ute! I'd definitely get that one!

[Edited at 2006-01-16 12:12]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:07
Member (2004)
German to English
I am with Sara on this one Jan 16, 2006

and I have been going 5 years. Of course I work long hours so I translate more than 2000 words a day. It is possible but it takes a lot of work!!

[Edited at 2006-01-16 12:13]

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:37
German to English
+ ...
Yes, for someone starting in the business Jan 16, 2006

Quite useful for someone just starting out as a translator without prior in-house experience.

While it is true that much information about the translation industry can be gleaned from ProZ forums as well, the organization of the book and presentation of material make it useful for a newcomer to the industry and worth the price. Especially useful are its introduction to translation rates and the database of agencies along with the freeware bulk emailing software thrown in. While one could perhaps figure out how to set rates (by character/word/line source/target) and download fletMail free of charge, the compiled list of agencies is not easily reproducible, especially if one is unaware of the ProZ agency directory. Not to mention that all the above would take a considerable amount of research and time. The book nicely enscapsulates everything in one central location.

Anil Gidwani

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:07
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Several people do quite a bit more than that Jan 16, 2006

Tim Drayton wrote:

...but the claim that you can earn USD 80,000 per year as a freelance translator in my opinion lacks any credibility.

$80,000/year is the equivalent of 350/day for 229 working days in a year. If one charges $0.10/word, that translates in 3,500 words/day, or 2,333 words/day if one manages to charge $ 0.15/ word.

Not at all unfeasible, and in fact there are quite a few professionals doing 80,000/year (and in several instances even more).

If somebody is actually making this kind of income thanks to reading this book, please let me know and I will rush out and buy it.

I believe that all the people I mentioned above started quite a bit before that book was published. I looked at it, and it gives quite good advice to beginners... the kind of information that established professionals should already know, in most instances, though.

BristolTEc  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Where exactly can the book be found? Jan 17, 2006

I seem to remember seeing references to this book before, but we have not bought or read it. However, when I try to follow up translatorstips.com to find out a little more I get a German web hosting page that I cannot find my way through... am I missong something?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is "How to earn $80,000+.." from translatorstips.com useful?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs