Oxford English Dictionary - free till 1 Feb
Thread poster: sergey (X)
sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Local time: 13:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

go www.oed.com, then click on 'bbc balderdash and piffle' to bypass having to enter 'name' and 'password'.

enjoy!

ps
oed - OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY for the uninitiated

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-01-25 13:04]

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:25
English to Polish
Thanks a lot, Sergey! Jan 25, 2006

sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oh, initially Jan 25, 2006

the title was 'oed - free till 1 feb' as you all might have expected, but now, that it has been edited, my entry looks really silly with 'oxford english dictionary' mentioned twice - not only in the title, but also written with capital letters ...
lovely ...

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 15:25
French to English
+ ...
Balderdash and piffle Jan 25, 2006

Looked like a great show. I got to see the first episode when I was at my parents' over Christmas, but I'm now away from the UK, so I haven't seen any more of it.

sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, it's quite good ... Jan 25, 2006

Timothy Barton wrote:

Looked like a great show. I got to see the first episode when I was at my parents' over Christmas, but I'm now away from the UK, so I haven't seen any more of it.

i've missed the first 2 or 3 episodes.
was it 'invasion' that i watched instead? which looked quite promising at first? and disappointing the more i watched it afterwards? can't remember now.

i liked the informality of the 'balderdash and piffle' programme on bbc2. apparently, anyone can approach 'oxford english dictionary' and challenge any of its entries, providing there is printed proof of a word's etymology, usage, meaning etc., which i thought was great.

that's the way any dictionary should be - in constant flux of change and improvement. after all, any dictionary is only an attempt to take a 'snapshot' (registering it on paper or electronic media) of a language at a particular time of its existence. a snapshot that is always incomplete.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Oxford English Dictionary - free till 1 Feb

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »