Laura Mora
Laura Mora  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2006

Hi everybody!
I work with trados (6.5.5.438) and I'd like to install multiterm too, but don't know which version is more stable -5,5 or iX (6.0.1.209). Could you give some help here please?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:06
English to German
+ ...
Go for MTiX 6.2 Jan 28, 2006

Hi Laura,
I work with trados (6.5.5.438) and I'd like to install multiterm too, but don't know which version is more stable -5,5 or iX (6.0.1.209).

MT 5.5 used to be pretty stable, but has not been actively supported for some time. Trados 7.x still works with MT 5.5, but I wouldn't expect that to last forever.

OTOH MTiX 6.0.x had certain major bugs and shortcomings (in particular, the conversion utility does not support imports from Excel). This first version was replaced by 6.2.0.267 (subsequently upgraded to build 287) in summer 2003; unless you go straight to version 7.1 on both TW and MT, I would recommend using build 287.

HTH, Ralf

Laura Mora
Laura Mora  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
V. 7.1? Jan 28, 2006

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

unless you go straight to version 7.1 on both TW and MT, I would recommend using build 287.

HTH, Ralf

Thanks Ralf.
Do you think v 7.1 is better? because I have heard that it has some problems. Is that true?

Regards,

Laura

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
7.1: Import from Excel is extremely slow Jan 28, 2006

I am using V. 7.1 and switched to MT IX mostly because of its import utility.

However, converting 4000 entries from Excel with MT convert takes for ever (45 mins?), and it is just half of the job: then you have to import the resulting file into MT, which in my case took about half an hour. All in all more than one hour!

The first time I tried with 9000 entries, but I did not record the time then, as I left for a walk while it was working. The fact is that even with a f
... See more
I am using V. 7.1 and switched to MT IX mostly because of its import utility.

However, converting 4000 entries from Excel with MT convert takes for ever (45 mins?), and it is just half of the job: then you have to import the resulting file into MT, which in my case took about half an hour. All in all more than one hour!

The first time I tried with 9000 entries, but I did not record the time then, as I left for a walk while it was working. The fact is that even with a fast processor and 1MB RAM, these processes slow down the computer to the point you cannot keep working.

With MT 5.5 I used to convert from excel to MT using word macros, in just a few minutes! I was thinking of switching back - but what Ralf points out is now stopping me.

[Edited at 2006-01-28 17:02]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 5,5 or Multiterm iX

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »