https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/42875-help_choosing_first_translation_software.html

help! choosing first translation software
Thread poster: Marissa Vicari
Marissa Vicari
Marissa Vicari  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
French to English
Feb 21, 2006

Hi. I'd like to get my first translation software, but don't know what to do. I translate scientific/medical articles in different subjects french>english. Everyone seems to be using Trados, but it looks like it's just for repetative translating, and also like lots of work in itself-I don't really get what it's all about... Is it generally used with a traditional translation sofware? I want something with the ability to 'translate for me' while I like the idea of recycling my work, as it requi... See more
Hi. I'd like to get my first translation software, but don't know what to do. I translate scientific/medical articles in different subjects french>english. Everyone seems to be using Trados, but it looks like it's just for repetative translating, and also like lots of work in itself-I don't really get what it's all about... Is it generally used with a traditional translation sofware? I want something with the ability to 'translate for me' while I like the idea of recycling my work, as it requires lots of research and is very technical. Any suggestions very welcome - thanks.Collapse

Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
English to Spanish
Try out demo versions first... Feb 21, 2006

Visit the webpages for the different CAT tools (TRADOS/SDLX, Déjá Vu X, WordFast, etc.) and download the demo versions (not necessarily at the same time, of course!). This way, you can find out if using a CAT tool works for you and saves you time/effort.

I tried all those mentioned above and ended up liking DVX the best for the translations I do at work. The Standard version has fewer bells and whistles than the Professional vers
... See more
Visit the webpages for the different CAT tools (TRADOS/SDLX, Déjá Vu X, WordFast, etc.) and download the demo versions (not necessarily at the same time, of course!). This way, you can find out if using a CAT tool works for you and saves you time/effort.

I tried all those mentioned above and ended up liking DVX the best for the translations I do at work. The Standard version has fewer bells and whistles than the Professional version, but I consider it cost effective.

For my freelance work, I use TRADOS. Funny, the first time I tried TRADOS it confused the heck out of me. Now that I understand it better, I like it more.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:00
English to Turkish
+ ...
definitely, try the demo versions... Feb 21, 2006

I have tested the demo versions many times, and formatted my hard disk and tested them again and again.

I have used only the earlier versions of WordFast so I don't have much to say about it, but a similar tool, MetaTexis crashed each time I tried.

SDLX is one of my favourites but it has too many versions, and updates or service packs are not free all the time. It has a
... See more
I have tested the demo versions many times, and formatted my hard disk and tested them again and again.

I have used only the earlier versions of WordFast so I don't have much to say about it, but a similar tool, MetaTexis crashed each time I tried.

SDLX is one of my favourites but it has too many versions, and updates or service packs are not free all the time. It has a 30 day demo version at www.sdl.com

Well, Trados is said to be the market leader, but don't forget that you will have to pay much more for the updates.

Star Transit XV (not the free Satellite version) is another good and powerful tool but you may find it a bit complicated if you have no experience with CAT tools.

As for Deja Vu X, I believe it is the best and easy to use program for translators. Try its demo version for 30 days and I believe you will like it.

HTH
Selcuk Akyuz
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast Feb 21, 2006

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I am currently using the last version of Wordfast and I am satisfied. The price is great and I can deliver the translation memories in '.tmx' format to clients using Trados. The demo version is 500 translation units, which is enough to test it.

HTH
Fred

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help! choosing first translation software

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »