Are some English to Hindi and vice-versa dictionaries available on CDs?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 14:50
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 10, 2006

The dictionaries play an important role in translation and, in fact, these are inevitable and indispensable for translation as we just can't learn the connotations of each and every word and we seek the help of dictionaries in such cases.

While I have got a number of English to English dictionaries on CDs (Word Web and Oxford to name a few), I don't know about a English to Hindi or vice-versa dictionary on CD. Searching the words in paper dictionaries is somewhat inconvenient and
... See more
The dictionaries play an important role in translation and, in fact, these are inevitable and indispensable for translation as we just can't learn the connotations of each and every word and we seek the help of dictionaries in such cases.

While I have got a number of English to English dictionaries on CDs (Word Web and Oxford to name a few), I don't know about a English to Hindi or vice-versa dictionary on CD. Searching the words in paper dictionaries is somewhat inconvenient and kills the time. On the other hand, we can know the meaning(s) in a second or two if we have got electronic dictionaries. I know an online English to Hindi dictionary is available at www.shabdkosh.com but we can use it only when we have internet connectivity.

I'd appreciate if my peers dealing with English-Hindi translations could enlighten me about such dictionaries.
Collapse

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Shipra dictionary Mar 10, 2006

I found one dictionary at Nehru Place (Rs. 100 or so) by the name Shipra Dictionary. It is not very polished पर काम चला देती है.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anil, thanks for informing. Mar 11, 2006

I'd try to buy it from there. क्या आप मुझे उस दूकान का नाम बता सकते हैं, जहाँ से यह उपलब्ध है क्योंकि उस सूरत में मुझे जगह-जगह भटकना नही पड़ेगा। धन्यवाद

Anil Goyal wrote:

I found one dictionary at Nehru Place (Rs. 100 or so) by the name Shipra Dictionary. It is not very polished पर काम चला देती है.

[Edited at 2006-03-11 02:05]

[Edited at 2006-03-11 02:06]

[Edited at 2006-03-11 02:06]

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sorry for late response Apr 25, 2006

मैंने दोबारा यहाँ आकर इस पोस्ट को देखा नहीं था। नेहरू प्लेस में बहुत से सॉफ्टवेयर वाले टेबल डालकर बैठे रहते हैं। आप बजाज कैपिटल वाली लाइन में देख सकते हैं, सेंट्रल बैंक के ठीक सामने वाला गलियारा. वैसे वे लोग पाइरेटेड सॉफ्टवेयर बेचने के लिए बैठे रहते हैं, लेकिन यह सीडी पाइरेटेड नहीं है, इसलिए करीब करीब सभी के पास मिल जाती है।

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Apr 26, 2006

विस्तृत और उपयोगी सूचना देने के लिए धन्यवाद

Anil Goyal wrote:

मैंने दोबारा यहाँ आकर इस पोस्ट को देखा नहीं था। नेहरू प्लेस में बहुत से सॉफ्टवेयर वाले टेबल डालकर बैठे रहते हैं। आप बजाज कैपिटल वाली लाइन में देख सकते हैं, सेंट्रल बैंक के ठीक सामने वाला गलियारा. वैसे वे लोग पाइरेटेड सॉफ्टवेयर बेचने के लिए बैठे रहते हैं, लेकिन यह सीडी पाइरेटेड नहीं है, इसलिए करीब करीब सभी के पास मिल जाती है।

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are some English to Hindi and vice-versa dictionaries available on CDs?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »