Thread poster: Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 7, 2002

I have read but wonderful reviews on this program than allows remote access to your PC from any internet access point. (http://image73.eguard.com/expertcity/13899-0/content13899-0.html)

Have any of you tried it? I\'d appreciate some feedback.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:45
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
WATCH OUT FOR THEIR BUSINESS METHODS! Aug 7, 2002

They \"kindly\" let me have a test period of 10 days. They agreed to let me prolong it 5(!!) days.

I of course (overburdened as I was) forgot to test it only to discover that they already had snatched the not very clearly mentioned $ 19.95 for the first month of use by emailing me and telling me about the various payment alternatives for the remaining (life?) payments.

I of course wrote back immediately that I had not agreed to anything yet.

I then got a number of
... See more
They \"kindly\" let me have a test period of 10 days. They agreed to let me prolong it 5(!!) days.

I of course (overburdened as I was) forgot to test it only to discover that they already had snatched the not very clearly mentioned $ 19.95 for the first month of use by emailing me and telling me about the various payment alternatives for the remaining (life?) payments.

I of course wrote back immediately that I had not agreed to anything yet.

I then got a number of computer generated bla-bla answers saying \"We are soo happy to have you as our customer Dear Mats...\" etc.

After 3 mails with that type of answer I asked my credit card bank to withdraw the sum FROM their account.

I only just made it - the allowed return payment period is two weeks I think.

Check with your credit card issuer!

Mats

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-07 08:28 ]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:45
English to German
+ ...
Security issues Aug 7, 2002

Sounds really wonderful - the catch is security. This will only work if the host computer (or, more precisely, the network in which that computer is located) is (i) permanently connected to the Internet and (ii) allows for external connections to be established from the Internet. The big problem with that is that if you are \"allowed in\", so is everyone else. Unless you use a proper firewall with an embedded protocol that establishes a VPN (\"virtual private network\"), this will leave you with... See more
Sounds really wonderful - the catch is security. This will only work if the host computer (or, more precisely, the network in which that computer is located) is (i) permanently connected to the Internet and (ii) allows for external connections to be established from the Internet. The big problem with that is that if you are \"allowed in\", so is everyone else. Unless you use a proper firewall with an embedded protocol that establishes a VPN (\"virtual private network\"), this will leave you with a gaping hole in your security setup.

For remote access to my server, I bypass the firewall by directly dialling into the server\'s ISDN link - more expensive, of course, but secure.
Collapse

Terry Burgess
Terry Burgess  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thaks to you all!!! Aug 7, 2002

...to Patricia for the posting and to Mats and Ralph for their enlightening answers.

I\'d been receiving a lot of their promotion mails recently and confess I was more than tempted....despite my reservations.

Now, I think I\'ll steer clear of it!

Regards

terry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"GOtomyPC\" Has somebody tried it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »