Ernst DE-EN-DE - do you recommend it? And if yes, then CD or book?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 09:13
German to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 7, 2002

Hi,

As I am translating mostly technical texts, I was considering buying Ernst \"Woerterbuch der industriellen Technik\". En-De-En

I would like to hear your input on this dictionary, both on CD and the book form.

Any input appreciated, since the price is rather high.

Also, would you recommend this dictionary (which seems to be like the Bible of technical translators) or is there something else, maybe better?

Any input appreciated. Than
... See more
Hi,

As I am translating mostly technical texts, I was considering buying Ernst \"Woerterbuch der industriellen Technik\". En-De-En

I would like to hear your input on this dictionary, both on CD and the book form.

Any input appreciated, since the price is rather high.

Also, would you recommend this dictionary (which seems to be like the Bible of technical translators) or is there something else, maybe better?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-07 21:02 ]
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:13
German to English
+ ...
Worth having! Aug 7, 2002

Hi Eli!

I would say that Ernst is worth having, so long as you don\'t consider it to be the bible! It\'s got an awful lot in it, but some of the entries are a little dubious, and you need to have the feel for what is right and wrong . Broadly, though, it\'s a useful tool, and I\'d go for the CD version any time (but I\'d go for any CD over any book, because of the time saved).

Regards

Ma
... See more
Hi Eli!

I would say that Ernst is worth having, so long as you don\'t consider it to be the bible! It\'s got an awful lot in it, but some of the entries are a little dubious, and you need to have the feel for what is right and wrong . Broadly, though, it\'s a useful tool, and I\'d go for the CD version any time (but I\'d go for any CD over any book, because of the time saved).

Regards

Mary
Collapse

TRADL
TRADL
France
English to French
+ ...
Well worth it ! Aug 7, 2002

Ernst is extremely useful. I have it at work and am also considering buying it for my personal use. I was also wondering if there was a CD version so now I know ! Anyone knows of a place selling it a bit cheaper ?

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was also wondering about the price Aug 7, 2002

I mean is there some place where you can get it cheaper (with as little additional charges as possible, probably from the source)? I have found the CD for about 177 Euro, if I remember well (it has both De-En and En-De)

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ernst is super! Aug 8, 2002

I use eng-deu-eng, fra-deu-fra and esl-deu-esl on CD and they are really good.

I paid som 200 Euros so 177 is a very good price - Please tell us where Elvira!

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:13
German to English
+ ...
Tecnologix Laixicon Aug 8, 2002

I bought both Ernst and Richter, of which the former is better. To be honest, though, which I always am, I still find the technical dictionary which provides the most results to my queries to be the free online one, Laixicon, at www.tecnologix.com.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:13
German to English
Wait a while Aug 8, 2002

Currently the D>E edition dates from 1989, although E>D is more up to date. The D>E has been promised for some time now, and it wouldn\'t be unreasonable to expect it to come out by early 2003.

You might also take a look at the latest Kucera \"WB der exakten Naturwissenschaften und der Technik.\" I\'ve been relying on it more lately than Ernst.

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:13
German to English
+ ...
The Standard Aug 9, 2002

Ernst was and is always the first choice for me over the last 20 years of work. You should see the books - real wrecks. Therefore the CD ROM might be the better choice.

It is a solid dictionary, but of course, as it covers so many technical topics, you need to know, what you are writing about.

Most recently, I have also started to use the free online Tecnologix dictionary, which is really good. Also the
... See more
Ernst was and is always the first choice for me over the last 20 years of work. You should see the books - real wrecks. Therefore the CD ROM might be the better choice.

It is a solid dictionary, but of course, as it covers so many technical topics, you need to know, what you are writing about.

Most recently, I have also started to use the free online Tecnologix dictionary, which is really good. Also the LEO dictionary (http://dict.leo.org/?lang=de) has many good technical entries. For LEO, there is now an interesting free tool available, which is called LION (http://www.schleinzer.de/). You just mark a word in your text, push a trigger key (selectable) and the LEO translation pops up. Great if you have broadband.

With Ernst, I would also recommend to wait with the purchase until the new D - E version comes out. If money is a major topic for you, possibly you can get a good bargain on the old version. If I consider, how long I have used my Ernst, though, and how often it has helped me in a pinch, even a couple of 100 Euros is worth the investment.

Looks that your business has picked up, Elvira? I am very glad for you.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-09 02:01 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ernst DE-EN-DE - do you recommend it? And if yes, then CD or book?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »