Online Portuguese-Portuguese dictionary
Thread poster: Colin Bowles

Colin Bowles  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2006

I wonder does anybody know of a GOOD online Portuguese Portuguese dictionary please.

I use the Houaiss paper one, but it would be nice to have access to a good online one as well. I believe the Aurélio is available online to UOL subscribers, but unfortunately I am not a UOL subscriber.

Thank you in advance,

Colin.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
The one I use Mar 18, 2006

Hi Colin,
See http://www.priberam.pt/dlpo/dlpo.aspx
Good luck!

Ted Stroll  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:58
Portuguese to English
Get the Aurélio with CD-ROM Mar 18, 2006

Colin Bowles wrote:

I wonder does anybody know of a GOOD online Portuguese Portuguese dictionary please.

I use the Houaiss paper one, but it would be nice to have access to a good online one as well. I believe the Aurélio is available online to UOL subscribers, but unfortunately I am not a UOL subscriber.

Thank you in advance,

Colin.

Colin, if you're in Brazil, wander over to the nearest good bookstore and, if it's still published, buy the Dicionário Novo Aurélio da Língua Portuguesa Século XXI with CD-ROM. It's the large tome with a CD-ROM inside. I did that in Fortaleza in 2000 and continue to use the CD-ROM all the time. The version with CD-ROM costs maybe $50 U.S. more, but it's well worth it. My software even came with its own spell-checker that you can run with Microsoft Word (although if you're in Brazil I assume your version of Word already has spell-checking in Portuguese). Good luck.

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 06:58
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aurélio XXI Mar 19, 2006

I use the CD-ROM version for Aurélio XXI. It's pretty good and easy to use, very thorough also, but I can't hardly wait to get a paper version of either Aurélio or Houaiss so I can finally use it during the ATA test.

As far as online options, I unfortunately cannot refer you to any good sources. I sometimes use Priberam's, for curiosity only, not professional purposes, since I translate into Brazilian.

I have to say that there's a lot more linguistic content out there for Spanish than Portuguese. But there's always a possibility I'm looking in the wrong places, so I'll just keep an eye on this thread.

Good luck!

Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Porto editora Mar 19, 2006

I find this online dictionary excellent: http://www.infopedia.pt/

It is the site for Porto editora (which I have the hard-back of also)

The site offers you a free trial. However, if you are feeling naughty, you can keep renewing your subscription by changing log in names... I did that for a while, but was so happy with the service that I purchased the yearly subscription.

[Edited at 2006-03-19 03:55]

PS Needless to say, it also offers bi-lingual searches

[Edited at 2006-03-19 03:57]

Colin Bowles  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 19, 2006

Thanks all for your suggestions.

C.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online Portuguese-Portuguese dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs