Mobile menu

Resource - Russian-English DUI vocab
Thread poster: Kurt Porter

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2006

Anyone know of a good site to get some Russian (or English) vocabulary for Driving Under the Influence? I'm going to be interpreting on this topic at the end of the week and I'd like to prepare. Thank you in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:19
English to German
+ ...
I found this article... Apr 3, 2006

... which might be of interest to you with regard to vocabulary.

It's more like a scientific treatise and nothing like a glossary or dictionary but might be sufficient to familiarize oneself with the relevant terminology.

http://www.madi.ru/spravochnik/part3_8_3.html

Best of luck and cheers!

Barbara

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big help! Apr 3, 2006

Barbara Wiegel wrote:

... which might be of interest to you with regard to vocabulary.

It's more like a scientific treatise and nothing like a glossary or dictionary but might be sufficient to familiarize oneself with the relevant terminology.

http://www.madi.ru/spravochnik/part3_8_3.html

Best of luck and cheers!

Barbara

Thank you and за Ваше здоровье!

xxxTatiana Nero  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:19
Russian
+ ...
this might be helpful - at least should contain a lot of terminology and explanations Apr 3, 2006

Hello Kurt

Everywhere I looked for "Traffic Law DUI" I found links to these 2 books, I understand they should contain a lot of terms. They are not 2-language books though.

Hope it helps.

http://www.press-service.net/press-releases/47815/

Tower Publishing, Maine’s premier legal publisher, is pleased to announce the release of "From Crash to Courtroom: Collision Reconstruction for Lawyers and Law Enforcement," by John Kwasnoski, one of America’s leading experts on motor vehicle crash reconstruction. Kwasnoski’s "From Crash to Courtroom" teaches attorneys what to watch for while examining an accident reconstruction expert’s report, and explains in detail many of the more common errors an attorney may encounter. "From Crash to Courtroom" may be purchased directly from Tower Publishing for $125.00 by calling 1.800.969.8693 or by visiting their website at www.towerpub.com.

STANDISH, ME March 8, 2005 -- Tower Publishing, Maine’s premier legal publisher, is pleased to announce the release of "From Crash to Courtroom: Collision Reconstruction for Lawyers and Law Enforcement," by John Kwasnoski, one of America’s leading experts on motor vehicle crash reconstruction. Kwasnoski’s "From Crash to Courtroom" teaches attorneys what to watch for while examining an accident reconstruction expert’s report, and explains in detail many of the more common errors an attorney may encounter. The work also addresses issues such as proper evidence collection and taking an effective deposition.

"From Crash to Courtroom" is devoted to ensuring that the science behind traffic collision reports is accurate, and explains how many seemingly accurate findings may in fact be scientifically incorrect. Examples range from the improper use of the non-deployment of an airbag to “prove” a low impact speed to the deliberate misapplication of computer software to supply desired videos and graphs. At its heart, "From Crash to Courtroom" teaches readers how to be more critical of collision experts’ reports – then, equipped with a better understanding of the scientific fundamentals and analysis used in the preparation of such reports, attorneys may more effectively challenge the findings put forth by both sides. Cutting through the jargon and mathematical calculations frequently found in other automobile accident treatises, "From Crash to Courtroom" is written in non-technical terms to help attorneys better understand and more effectively question expert testimony.

"This is an important and long overdue book," says Gerald Partridge, Esq., Adjunct Professor at the National College of District Attorneys. "From Crash to Courtroom will serve the trial lawyer as both a sword and a shield – providing the tools needed for dismantling the incompetent or unscrupulous collision reconstructionist, while supplying the roadmap for building a case on a solid foundation of scientific cause and effect."

Kwasnoski’s "From Crash to Courtroom" opens with an explanation of the anatomy of a collision, defining all of the chronological phases of an accident as well as the basic laws of physics in a motor vehicle crash. Using case study investigation reports to highlight both obvious and hidden errors, "From Crash to Courtroom" provides readers with a more complete understanding of everything from tire mark evidence and drag factors to determining speed from airborne motion. The work explains the ways evidence is documented, and particularly the ways in which errors in data collection may influence expert opinions. "From Crash to Courtroom" may be purchased directly from Tower Publishing for $125.00 by calling 1.800.969.8693 or by visiting their website at www.towerpub.com.

Russian
+ ...
oops - 2nd book is "The Officer's DUI Manual" Apr 3, 2006

Sorry about that.

Russian
+ ...
glossaries Apr 3, 2006

http://www.dwilawoffice.com/glossary.html

Glossary of some DWI-related abbreviations

http://www.duifyi.com/dui_glossary.html

some terms

http://www.duisandiego.com/duiglossary.html

Some terms, even lectures on DUI.

The LT>EN Guy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Lithuanian to English
Russian law database Apr 3, 2006

I don't speak Russian so I can't check it up, but many countries, like mine, have very comprehensive legal act databases on the internet.
If Russia has such a database (perhaps in www.duma.ru), knowing Eastern European law, I would look for this: A "Road Traffic Rules" that should be approved by either a law or a decree of the Minister of Transport, maybe even the police. Then there shlould be something like the Adminstrative Law Violations Code (kodeks) which would regulate traffic offences.
Good luck!

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 4, 2006

Many thanks to all for the advice and links. This will get me where I need to go.

The LT>EN Guy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Lithuanian to English
Legal database Apr 4, 2006

Here it is! Databases of the Russian Federal Congress:

The Soviet of the Federation:
http://www.council.gov.ru/fedzak/index.html
База данных «Федеральные законы»

State Duma:
Банк правовых актов Государственной Думы ФС Российской Федерации
http://wbase.duma.gov.ru/ntc/fz.asp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource - Russian-English DUI vocab

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs