Anette Jakobsen
Anette Jakobsen
Denmark
Local time: 05:04
Danish to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2006

Hi

Does any of you know where I can find a good legal translation course - preferably in London and not more than 1 or 2 days. I work as a translator in a Danish law firm so the focus should be on translation of legal terminology. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

kind regards,
Anette

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-05 13:45]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
This might be a possibility Apr 6, 2006

Hi Anja

I don't know of a course in London, but you might benefit from the 'Juridisk Sprog' module in the Special Language Diploma / ED2 (Erhversvssproglig Diplom).

It can be taken as distance learning from Kolding, and although the Saturday seminars roughly once a month are beneficial, you can do without them. One of our year lived in the Phillipines, I believe, and one male student never showed his face either!

The course stretches over a year - rather lo
... See more
Hi Anja

I don't know of a course in London, but you might benefit from the 'Juridisk Sprog' module in the Special Language Diploma / ED2 (Erhversvssproglig Diplom).

It can be taken as distance learning from Kolding, and although the Saturday seminars roughly once a month are beneficial, you can do without them. One of our year lived in the Phillipines, I believe, and one male student never showed his face either!

The course stretches over a year - rather longer than you anticipated, but it was well worth it for me. I took the whole diploma course, but if you only need one module, then you need not spend time on the others.

This link will take you to
ED 2. del, engelsk, Syddansk Universitet Kolding

http://www.vidar.dk/vidar/vidpubre.nsf/982a38f0054545a94125658600553608/412565d9004fdf47412568f80032b9c8!OpenDocument

I live in Denmark, so I have not investigated possibilities in the UK.

The one-day sessions I have attended or plan to attend were/are possibly a little too specific, and they are in Denmark. (Sandro Nielsen on English Contract Law last year was very interesting however.)

Helle Pals Frandsen on 'Engelsk Procesret' - Register before 9 May for 6 June in Aarhus or 9 June in Copenhagen.

http://www.translatorforeningen.dk/side12.html

-- scroll down to the bottom of the link, and the one-day course is being held in Copenhagen and Aarhus

I'm posting them because others may be interested.

I hope you find something useful!

Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
English into Danish or the other way around? Apr 7, 2006

There has just been some courses - look here: http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/legal.html

But I'm not sure this is what you are after, since this seems to be into English. And then there were no workshops held in Danish, but they do say that you should apply anyway stating your language preference.

Worth checking out, perhaps?

Anette Jakobsen
Anette Jakobsen
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 24, 2006

Hi

Thank you for the links. The one in London sounds very interesting. Have any of you attended this course? If you have what did you think of it?

I have been taught by Helle Pals Frandsen at Copenhagen Business School so I know that she is very good at explaining terminology. It does sound very fascinating as well. However, I had my heart set out for London because sometimes it better to be able to hear the lectures in English in order to acquire the proper term
... See more
Hi

Thank you for the links. The one in London sounds very interesting. Have any of you attended this course? If you have what did you think of it?

I have been taught by Helle Pals Frandsen at Copenhagen Business School so I know that she is very good at explaining terminology. It does sound very fascinating as well. However, I had my heart set out for London because sometimes it better to be able to hear the lectures in English in order to acquire the proper terminology for future reference. But I might look into it at a later date so thank you for the help!

kind regards

Anette
Collapse

Anette Jakobsen
Anette Jakobsen
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It should be English into Danish Apr 24, 2006

PCovs wrote:

There has just been some courses - look here: http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/legal.html

But I'm not sure this is what you are after, since this seems to be into English. And then there were no workshops held in Danish, but they do say that you should apply anyway stating your language preference.

Worth checking out, perhaps?

Hi

I know it must be almost impossible to find courses with Danish abroad so I'm basically looking for a course that explains legal terminology in English. There does not have to be any Danish explanations but if there is that would naturally be nice. But that is perhaps to much to ask for.

The trouble I am having is that it is hard to find a course in English that explains legal topics in a general manner and focusing on translation. Most of the legal courses I have found on the internet are focused on lawyers and perhaps too technical for me to really understand and use in a proper way. The one you have sent a link for sounds great so I think I'll try that. If you have other ideas similar to this I would be very interested to know and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards
Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info needed: English-Danish legal translation courses

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »