Mobile menu

What is your opinion about Termium?
Thread poster: Antony Addy
Antony Addy  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
French to English
Aug 13, 2002

Hi all,

I have just invested in ProZ platinum membership and am now considering giving Termium a whirl, however, before I do I was wondering if any of you familiar with it would kindly give me some comments on its usefulness and also whether the CD or online version is the best to go for.

Many thanks in advance.

Antony

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-13 14:40 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

cheungmo
English to French
+ ...
An annotated database Aug 13, 2002

That\'s essentially what Termium is: an annotated database of terms previously translated.

Its a *very* useful translation tool but the quality/reliability can vary so you still have to use your head.

Still, they do nail down some hard-to-find terms and the notation can be quite extensive and complete.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I love the online version Aug 13, 2002

Hi

I signed-up for the online version as it is continuously updated. I love it and would not hesitate to recommend it.

You do have to use your head, just like in any search you do.

They really have some very hard to find terminology in there, and it has been a tremendous help to me.

It is well worth the price.

(Edited message below)...

I looked at your profile and I see that you are located in France. I must mention to you that Termium is the database of the Canadian Translation Bureau (Government) and that it is more geared towards French Canadian (although it does have some Euro-French annotations here and there).

So please understand this before you invest in it...

Nathalie

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-13 20:34 ]

Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:24
French to English
+ ...
Great tool! Aug 14, 2002

I have been using the CD-ROM version of Termium 1999 for the last year or so and have found it to be an excellent tool. But, as already mentioned, it is a little Canada-centric and rarely contains typically French administrative terminology. Another point is that I found it a little too expensive!!

I also use Le Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique 2001 and I believe this too is a Canadian product. Any \"pure\" French databases out there?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 17:32 ]

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:54
French to English
Of course it's a little Canada-centric... Aug 14, 2002

Quote:

But, as already mentioned, it is a little Canada-centric and rarely contains typically French administrative terminology.

Surely you know that Termium was created by the Canadian government\'s own Translation Bureau, so naturally most of the terminology is Canadian.

Knowing this, why even bother looking for French administrative terminology in it? There must be some sort of source for French admin. terms, but Termium is definitely *not* one.

FWIW, although I use Termium a great deal (I am a French-English translator in Canada), I don\'t use it for every subject I translate (for example, I don\'t find it to be reliable for gastronomy terms).

Erika

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You are right Erika Aug 14, 2002

I agree that there must be some *other* sort of Euro-French database similar to Termium for him to use in Europe.

As for reliability, that is why I mentioned in my previous post above, that a person has to use their head not only in using Termium, but in using any database

I just do not know of the name of a similar type of database for France... hopefully someone else can shed some light on this!

Have a great day!

Nathalie (Fr.Canadian also)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 13:51 ]

Origin of Termium Aug 14, 2002

Actually, Termium was created not by the Translation Bureau but by the Université de Montréal, in 1969. The name Termium was formed from TERMInologie - Université de Montréal. The Translation Bureau acquired Termium in 1975 and has been responsible for its development since then. See <http://www.termium.gc.ca/site/francais/historique.html>.

Charov

On 2002-08-14 13:06, epavelka wrote:

But, as already mentioned, it is a little Canada-centric and rarely contains typically French administrative terminology.

Surely you know that Termium was created by the Canadian government\'s own Translation Bureau, so naturally most of the terminology is Canadian.

Knowing this, why even bother looking for French administrative terminology in it? There must be some sort of source for French admin. terms, but Termium is definitely *not* one.

FWIW, although I use Termium a great deal (I am a French-English translator in Canada), I don\'t use it for every subject I translate (for example, I don\'t find it to be reliable for gastronomy terms).

Erika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your opinion about Termium?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs