Looking for: Spanish/English bible glossary or dictionary
Thread poster: Heather Chinchilla

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 22:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2006

Hello, I interpret at a church and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good Spanish/English bible glossary or dictionary, either as a book or software? I prefer Latin-American Spanish and U.S. English. Thank you in advance! -Heather

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-17 17:31]

Direct link Reply with quote

Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 17, 2006

I'm interested in the same type of glossary. If you find one before I do, could you please let me know?
Thanks.
deniseadevries@yahoo.com

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure! Apr 17, 2006

Denise DeVries wrote:

I'm interested in the same type of glossary. If you find one before I do, could you please let me know?
Thanks.
deniseadevries@yahoo.com

Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
web resources Apr 17, 2006

Here is a website that will help you find the same verses in English and Spanish. Even though it isn't a glossary, at least you can compare the verses.
http://www.wordproject.org/search2/bi_en_sp.htm

This other one gives the equivalent verse in simple Spanish.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20John%203:16&version=57

Good luck.

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful resources! Apr 17, 2006

Thank you, these links are great, I just wish I'd had them for the conference over the weekend!

AutoLingo  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Looking for similar resource, too... Apr 17, 2006

I do interpretation at church, too, and my pastor and I also work together to help translate district letters, and sometimes I chip in to help with translating the church magazine and the church Sabbath school lessons.

I would like to find something similar to what you are looking for. Except, I would like a glossary of "Church lingo". For example, I wonder if others also have asked themselves what is the best Spanish rendering for the following:

FELLOWSHIP: There is a debate between "hermandad" and "comunión". And, when did "fellowship" begin to be used also as a verb? Is "tener comunión" a good translation?

WITNESS: This can have a unique meaning in Christianity depending on context. "Evangelizar"? It's not quite the same, is it?

ACCOUNTABLE/ACCOUNTABILITY: There does not seem to be a Spanish word that exactly correlates to the Christian concept of this term, but we always use "responsable/responsabilidad".

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd like a "church lingo" glossary as well Apr 17, 2006

Please let me know if you find one as well. As far as the terms you mentioned, I havent' come accross "acountability" yet, but we use different terms than you mentioned for the other two. For "witness" we use "testificar" and for "fellowship" we use "compañerismo". I've been a part of 2 spanish-speaking congregations and we used the same terms 2 at both.

Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:27
French to English
Also interested Apr 18, 2006

Hi!

If such a glossary also exists in French/English I would be very interested too, although I think that the next thing on my list before I interpret for my church again will be to learn all those tricky O.T names in French and English...

Have a nice day.

Kathryn

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tough OT names Apr 18, 2006

Yes, the OT names are tough. There are a lot of types of bible/christianity glossaries/dictionaries that would be helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for: Spanish/English bible glossary or dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs